Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a local customizer, who fabricated an armrest for me. It is TIGHT. The "pleather" texture matches the texture on the center console, the storage compartment below is still totally accessible, and the difference is astronomical. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it looks like it was done in the factory. Obviously, I'm stoked on this little upgrade, and wanted to make sure all y'all had this guy's information, in case you want to do the same (your location doesn't matter, as you can just unscrew the lid, and mail it to him...already checked on that). I'll post a picture in the next few days so you can take a look at what a great job was done. Anywho, here are the vitals...

Franzini Brothers, Inc.
Mike Franzini, Owner
139 Carlos Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903
$100.00, including tax

Let me know if you have any preguntas...

Palabra a su madre...paz fuera...

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a few up on this thread in a few days...

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
In case anyone missed it, I moved the rear armrest to the front, and it worked well.

But - I needed to open up the rear "hole" for my subwoofer. Those wanting to keep the rear armrest are better off trying to have one fabricated like -jb- did...

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I'm confused as usual. You unscrew that lid that opens for you to put stuff in. Then how do they put the armrest on that? Does it move up and down? Can you open the lid with the armrest?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sophie Sleeps,
I'm going to take some pics of my car and armrest today, and will post them as soon as I can. To answer your questions:

Q- You unscrew that lid that opens for you to put stuff in. Then how do they put the armrest on that?
A- He actually uses that lid (armrest) and upholsters over it. It's 1 1/2" of firm foam, with a stitch line around the top edge (clean). He covers up the stapling and fringe fabric underneath with black felt (also clean). Not sure if that helped, but the pix are on the way.

Q- Does it move up and down? Can you open the lid with the armrest?
A- Yes!!! I thought about what TEG did, but it seems like he lost access to the storage compartment underneath. Not the case here. It works the same way as usual (opens away from driver).

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

[From TEG:
No - I can raise my armrest and still open the storage compartment door (where I keep my sunglasses).
Also, the top of my armrest is about 3-4" above that compartment. I think 1.5" of foam on that door woudn't really raise it enough for my liking... ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I spoke to Mike and he's a really nice guy. I'm going to mail out my lid on Monday so that he can get it back to me by Friday. One question, how much height did you get? Mike mentioned 1.5", but I was wondering how he/you arrived at that. Will this be enough to bring the center armrest equal to the door armrest?

Thanks for the tip....I'm excited!!!

Mark

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mark,
Mike and I sat in the car with a phone book, and did some trial and error. It was important to me to not sacrifice access to the storage compartment, so with some eyeballing and measuring, we deduced that 1.5" (which gives you more height than you may think) was the thickest we could go while protecting access to the bin. You may want to bump up to 2", but I wouldn't go any further. I have no complaints re: the thickness, though (I'm 6'1"). And NO, it does not match the height of your door's armrest. That would definitely kill the storage bin...and may look kinda silly, given the configuration of this (same dimensions as the lid). Hope that helped...believe me...you'll dig it...

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The color AND texture match that of the center console (lid) perfectly. When I walked into his shop to pick it up, it was sitting on the counter. At first, I thought to myself, "Oh. That's gonna look like poo. The material isn't smooth like the leather on my seats." BUT, when we went out to install it, my impression did a 180. If you've never sat in an is before, you'd NEVER know that it was aftermarket.

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seems like a lot of interest....

If you want, I can call Mike up and ask about a group discount. I'm sending my armrest in on Monday so I can inquire at that time. So far I count:

Interested:
  • cardinal_creek
  • IS3
  • wazzup
  • Sooul Cactus
  • GOTTURBO
  • PHANTOMGRAY

Possibly Interested:
  • mlopes
  • oneeyejack

Anyone else ????

Mark

[This message has been edited by mryuen (edited November 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by mryuen:
Seems like a lot of interest....

If you want, I can call Mike up and ask about a group discount. I'm sending my armrest in on Monday so I can inquire at that time. So far I count:

Interested:
  • cardinal_creek
  • IS3
  • wazzup
  • Sooul Cactus
  • GOTTURBO
  • PHANTOMGRAY

Possibly Interested:
  • mlopes
  • oneeyejack

Anyone else ????

Mark