Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are already posts that concern the Aristo swap, but I have some questions that have been answered vaguely.
I'm planning on doing an Aristo swap, but I want to keep almost everything stock for now. On Aristo engine and on my IS.
How reliable will it be keeping the stock twins. I've heard that keeping stock twins is bad and since it's from an old car the turbo bearings could be dead. I checked the engine and it has about 52k miles on it.
I also want to try keeping the stock components on the IS, but if I have to install some things other than obvious stuff like the intercooler and piping I will.
I recently installed a new oem is300 fuel pump, but I'm not sure how it'll do on the Aristo engine.
How is the fitment to the stock is300 trans.
Like I said, i'll keep everything stock so hopefully it won't stress the transmission out too much.
Will I be able to use the stock Aristo ECU or will I have to get an aftermarket ECU?

These questions kinda stem from my engine dying due to the rod snapping, and if I can get an Aristo engine I might as well, but I have to plan as my schedule right now is kinda tight, but I'll do what I can to make the most of it right now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Bearings is a risk on any 2nd hand turbo, for the most part a lot is going to come down to where you are sourcing the engine from and whether its been looked after and stored well. If you read one of the other recent write up on here (White IS?) who's pretty much had worst case scenario on a 1J swap, (bent rod, engine and turbo arrived full of water, pretty much a full rebuild required on top). I know guys over here that have simply dropped in the aristo motor with factory twins and its all sweet, still running fine, but they new the condition of the motors pretty well when they were buying.

You can run a double ECU setup if one comes with the motor, engine will run off the aristo ecu and the trans and all the other parts running off the original. From memory one of the guys over here is doing a mild 15psi on the stock aristo ecu. Will need upgraded fuel pump and maybe return line system though.

Apparently the stock auto 650e trans will run with the higher output ok depending on condition, you will need to fit an oil cooler and probably shim/rod the solenoids. Again a lot will depend on its current condition, and to be honest the 2J doesnt just bend/snap rods (they are weaker than the GTE rods but not that weak, can still do a low boost NA-t on them reliably) so it has me wondering what sort of abuse the car has been subject to over its life and how that translates to the trans as well. Lets just call it a potential risk that it may need to be fixed/replaced if its had a hard life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts