Lexus IS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yes, get the usdm GTE water pump.
For fuel return you have a few options where to tap into. Remove the hardline and do it at the reg., or use the end of the hardline OR end of the rubber line into hardline. :)

(Not my motor)

(Not my motor)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
While we're playing w/ pics - Can one of you swap vets (or anyone else) tell me what the busted lines in red are? Why are there what appear to be two small coolant lines coming off of a wider fitting or sensor? I believe these are ripped on my motor just as they appear in this pic:

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
^^ one goes to the reservoir...the other goes to the cooler....;)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thanks! I dont see any wires making it out to be a sensor...Is this just a Toyota design for splitting into two PS lines or is that fitting serving another purpose? :)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The vac hoses are for the mechanical idle up for power steering. You can see one goes from right before the TB and the other goes to the manifold after TB.

You need none of it unless you are doing standalone. The IS300 ECU accomplishes this via the dbw TB. So use the electronic switch from the IS300.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I would put the valve covers back on just for insurance that nothing gets all over the camshafts and into the valves.

Ok good mike, cause I was about to say, man you have a lot of cleaning ahead of you!

Also did you guys keep your little vaccume tube underneath the intake ?
Its the black canister near the firewall end of the motor under the intake mani. It has two vaccume lines on it. Did you guys use that or plug up the hoses?

*** on the water pump issue, I thought that the gte was clutch type fan and the is300 is hydrolic. Does the pump itself have anything to do with the fans themselves? If not Ill get the GTE pump. Also did either of you (teck or wing) change your thermostat? I dont want to leave the old one in there and I am really considering replacing it while I am in there anyway.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I would put the valve covers back on just for insurance that nothing gets all over the camshafts and into the valves.

Ok good mike, cause I was about to say, man you have a lot of cleaning ahead of you!

Also did you guys keep your little vaccume tube underneath the intake ?
Its the black canister near the firewall end of the motor under the intake mani. It has two vaccume lines on it. Did you guys use that or plug up the hoses?

*** on the water pump issue, I thought that the gte was clutch type fan and the is300 is hydrolic. Does the pump itself have anything to do with the fans themselves? If not Ill get the GTE pump. Also did either of you (teck or wing) change your thermostat? I dont want to leave the old one in there and I am really considering replacing it while I am in there anyway.
Yeah i changed my thermo out. Its a cheap part (with respect to everything else :p) so you may aswell just change it out. If memory serves, the IS has electric fans. So the water pump does not control them....so to speak. You will be fine with a GTE water pump. That's what I used and it works perfect with the IS serpentine belt. No issues. Make sure you swap out the water temp sensor from the IS that is on the exhaust side and replace the sensor the GTE engine on the intake side.

As for PS, yeah you should be using the IS pump. It has an electrical connection near the main line. You'll see it. The ECU uses that to control it. THe GTE style has the VSV bulls*it that won't be used anyway.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
by the way im working on the rest of the swap doc, so hopefully i can get it posted soon. :) at this time, I am finally getting the Fuel Return line done. These damn AN fittings are a BIOTCH to get the SS line in..... Anyone have any tips for me? I'm using -6AN SS line and Fittings. Do you just pound them in with the wrath of god or something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question

so wen u do tha 2jz swap can u use aftermarket parts for a 2jz supra? and wut type of exhaust do u use... one that fits a IS or supra?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Any one have the p/n for the intake mani gasket? I ordered the usdm GTE gasket forgetting that its different then the jdm.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
whats wrong with the old one? I used most of my old gaskets with the exception of the vital ones.

I would have updates but its just to cold to be out working on the motor.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Ha ha I know. I saw the box in your garage!

I havent done anything with my motor or trans. Too blimey cold. :pissed:

That along with GF birthday, new tires, insurance etc this month...$$$$

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I hear ya, man. The most work I'm doing is ordering parts/mods and reading service manuals.

Did you ever decide to remove your press. tank?
I've gathered that all it does is hold pressure to help activate the valves used to control the stock twin sequential operation. Once we go single, or in your case TTC, there should no longer a function for the pressure tank.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Yeah , I already removed it from the engine and it went into "do not need" box. I dont think that I will use it for that reason, I will be ttc. I will also be removing the valve on the top of the 2nd turbo like teck . but instead of cutting it out, I will have a new pipe welded in place.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
the only valve i left in place is the one underneath the first turbo. the other three i either removed or wired open. If you remove the clamp on the rod the valve is extremely easy to wire open. practically swings open and close with 1 finger.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
How are you both controlling boost?

I got rid of the 2nd turbo valve like teck and the other valve on top of the piping. But I left the valve on the Down pipe , is that right? Is there apicture of the valve you have left and how you are regulating boost?

101 - 120 of 795 Posts