Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yeah, identical. I have a set of usdm GTE coil packs that I'll be adapting over from the GE...wired in wasted spark they still make a + diff.

Are you guys oem usdm Supra plugs?
Yes i used Supra plugs, Denso IK20's I believe er 24's

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
GTE coilpacks are often $200ish on supraforums.. You will need x 3 clips from Toyota as well: 90980-11246.
I havent mounted mine on the GTE head yet but it should be fairly simple. On the GE you have to trim the rubber boots, make a mouting bracket and grind the s* out of the TB for clearance.

Wiring the coilpacks is easy....Wasted spark, obviously one IGN channel will be powering up two coil packs. You just tap and extend a new harness from your stock one for both coil + and coil - wires on the new coilpack. Cylinders are paired #1-6, # 5-2, and #3-4 like all inline6's.

Thanks to TonyTheTiger for sharing the info....

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I guess. Now I am contemplating keeping the twins, but my rear turbo is eff'd and I need a new one. Mike if you dont use yours let me know I might need the rear one, I cant decide if I want to go single or stay twin with the ttc mod. Plus I have no idea how to set up the twins to operate at ttc or wire the vaccume hoses. If I keep them i will have one of the local supra guys or slorice to help me.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Yeah, that was cool of Tony to post up real numbers from doing the coil swap. Its also good to know our OE igniter transistors are good for the extra current draw.

Props Tony, and dude I've cried before about wanting to see an OE like turbo setup. Teckis has come in close with the TT swap, but his pipes are shiny, plus his new heat shield. Your intake scheme and still using the engine cover. Damn man, props.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well how much power do you want to make? If your looking for big power, ditch the twins now. If you just want 400ish, you can keep them. It is more of a hassle to keep them in there, but it looks SOOOOO damn cool once it's in!! :approve:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ IMO a good twin swap, or like how Tonythetiger did his single, would have even a WELL TRAINED cop think its OE unless he's a fellow IS'er haha.

Being here in SoCal, I'm growing away from the bling bling engine bay stuff, and the clean but obviously modified look also, and wanting a "sir, it came from the factory like that" look haha.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
that's what am going for. Although the 2 shiny IC pipes don't help :( I want to take her back to Lexus and complain...."uhh yeah there is a loud spooling sound coming from my engine, can you guys take a look at it and tell me what the deal is?" LMAO!!!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Just for you BlacksportD, my engine cover should be almost done this weekend. It's lime green! Finally getting to the little bits and pieces. j/k...it's black :)

I took the car a couple months ago into Lexus to get my A/C recharged. The techs there were all :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: and converged around the car for quite awhile. I'm sure they all wanted to be the lucky A/C guy and fondle the car.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Sweet. I need to get a new cam gear cover, mine came cracked. I email kinway but they need the part number and I cannot seem to find it.

Edit: did you guys keep the pressure tank or w/e on the intake side under the intake manifold? seems useless but i dont want to get rid of it if i keep twins.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Edit: did you guys keep the pressure tank or w/e on the intake side under the intake manifold? seems useless but i dont want to get rid of it if i keep twins.
Same question...I believe it can be removed with no ill CEL's but to the guys that have been there done that - Y or N ?

PS: Did you guys have a lot of oil residue within the twins piping and or comp sides themselves? Mine were rather oily with the first one almost having a puddle....but no shaft play and wheels spin freely...Not sure what to make of it.

Edit- GTE coilpack sitting and plugged in on the Aristo GTE. Will work much easier then on the GE head...

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I had some oil residue, only on the intake side where the valve breather connects into the intake mani. I did have a little oil in the turbo pipes, but nothing to fret over. Let me know about those twins mike, I am not sure what to do about the iintake pipe.

I was thinking of gettin a stock supra flex pipe (the black one) that goes right onto the intake manifold and sing if I can manipulate it to where I want.

Second was to buy the Intercooler pipes from Samco, as their version seems to point it down at least in the direction we want.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
GTE Oil Pump

Did you guys buy a new GTE Oil Pump or take a chance with the Aristo one?
Also, what your thoughts on the prevelant issue(s) around the oem GTE oil pump, high boost and the front main seal failing? I recall a few threads on supraforums discussing the cause for concern even at 17psi:

The OEM oil pump is prone to front main seal failure under high boost conditions. We modify the oil pump to reduce pressure at the front main seal, increase internal flow, and balance and clearance the rotor assembly. All pumps are hand-modified and ported to ensure the highest quality.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
There's nothing inherently flawed in the Aristo (GTE) pump and should be good for many many miles to come.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Ok, I'll save $167.28. Thanks, Paul!
Another question if you can help me out: The Aristo Coolant Temp sensor vs GE: Does the GTE pickup/report temp differantly then the GE sensor or is this all a function in the ecu? I dont know what to do about my Haltech coolant temp sensor....what few Supra guys use Haltechs it was tough to form a concensus on coolant temp feedback for oem ecu and haltech. It would be far too easy if the GTE temp sensor could feed both the GE ecu and the Haltech.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Hey when replacing the water pump, you used an IS300 one right? cause they are hydrolic and supra's are clutch fan.

Cant I use a mkiv supra pump if I am not going to be pushing over 18 lbs of boost?

Where did you connect your fuel return lines on the rail?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You can't use the IS300 pump...it's configured differently. You need the Supra GTE water pump.

81 - 100 of 795 Posts