Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sheesh...have you chosen your prefered method of executing your neighbor? I would go with a slow torturous one.

Sorry bro.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I did that to mine. I pushed it back out with my hand. Can't tell except for the slight missing paint.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That hella sucks!!! I had that happen to me on a previous car I woned...except it was on the rear fender just behind the tire...I had to have it pulled out, bondo'ed up, and painted...Sucks when its not your fault..makes you want to find who did it and take it out on them..

------------------
'01 Spectra Blue Mica

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Uh...yeah that sucks. I had that happen to me in high school with my ES300.

Was at another high school watching my girlfriend play volleyball. Came out and huge dent in my rear bumper.

Cops came and were like...we don't believe you (My mother aparently scratched the front bumper right before I took the car and neglected to tell me) So here I am trying to tell the cops that both the front and rear of my car were damaged.

Cops didn't understand why both the front and back were damaged so they left, thinking I was trying to commit insurance fraud.

Anyway...
Corolla- I swear that isn't the brightest of ideas. You're saying you can fix a bumper back to it's original shape with a hair dryer. I'll pay to see that.

Not only are these bumpers hard molded plastic, but if you somehow get them back into their normal shape, the paint will have splintered off.

By the way. It took about 3 hours to push the ES300 bumper back out, and no hair dryer will work. I even used a propane torch, and the plastic doesn't get any more pliable.

It didn't look bad, but it wasn't perfect.

With a car like ours...please get it fixed.

[This message has been edited by SophieSleeps (edited January 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
78 Posts
i know it won't give him a perfect finished
since his paint got crack and chipped out
i guess he need to sand it and re-paint his front bumper ..around 4.5 hours of labour and cost 200-300 dollars

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My neighbor was kind enough to leave a note apologizing. Apparently it was the guy's girlfriend who did it. She had to have hit it really hard for it to dent it so much like that. The estimate from one body shop near my house was for $710 total. That's replacing the bumper and re-painting it. The estimate from the lexus detail shop to put on the bumper stone-guard is around $200-$300. Altho he has to wait like 30-60 days for the paint to dry before he attempts to put on the stone guard. Knowing my luck I'll get a huge rock chip in the new bumper before the stone-guard is put on. hehe

My neighbor felt really bad about doing it, since he knows I've only had it a few weeks.

Oh well what can you do. Least it wasnt in some parking lot where noone fessed up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The same thing happened to me on the rear bumper. Some F&*%ing idiot hit it at a parking lot. The bumper did not cave in like yors but it left a ring of removed paint. My dealer reapired it at no cost. Perhaps you can push it out by removing the assembly if you are handy guy. You may loose some of the paint around the edge but it will not come out completely like Sophie said. The paint used on the bumpers is "rubberrized" to give it some flexibility. Sorry to see that and good luck
Originally posted by Rizzoach:
My neighbor was kind enough to leave a note apologizing. Apparently it was the guy's girlfriend who did it. She had to have hit it really hard for it to dent it so much like that. The estimate from one body shop near my house was for $710 total. That's replacing the bumper and re-painting it. The estimate from the lexus detail shop to put on the bumper stone-guard is around $200-$300. Altho he has to wait like 30-60 days for the paint to dry before he attempts to put on the stone guard. Knowing my luck I'll get a huge rock chip in the new bumper before the stone-guard is put on. hehe

My neighbor felt really bad about doing it, since he knows I've only had it a few weeks.

Oh well what can you do. Least it wasnt in some parking lot where noone fessed up.

------------------
Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Rizzoach

CAN YOU POST SOME INFO ON THE STONEGUARD??

I AM JUST WONDERING IF IT REALLY WORKS!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
14 Participants
EGO
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing