Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock tip is releasing the heat right below where my area 51 valence hangs over since it is short and only made for our stock lip....its even starting to melt the paint and even burning it off....any suggestions? (besides buying a new exhaust with longer tip)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry about that bro....otherwise, how's the fitment?

I think I heard somewhere that you could buy new rubber hanger holders and drop the exhaust a little bit that ways. Or you could even reweld some new hangers to the exhaust can if you wanted.

If I were you though, I'd get a new exhaust...why keep that pussy lookin' stock exhaust when you got a bodykit? I'd forgo the hanger idea and get the new exhaust, can't go wrong with a meaner look and sound. ;-)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea...fitment is perfect......and yea i'm very much considering a new exhaust with a longer tip....i think the Ltuned exhaust was suggested.....know where i could buy one for a good price?

·
10,234 Posts
I dont think

I dont think dropping the exhaust will help in anyway. Dropping will only make it go down not outward. The exhaust fume needs to be released upward, no matter how much u drop it down the fume will always hit the valance. It has no room to dissipate into the air. Since you got stock exhaust, just get an aftermarket exhaust, usually the tip sticks out furthur.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
a new tip welded o nthe exh muffler might be in order & prolly the cheapest most definite fix, i too have the a51 rr valkance but with the Hiper you cannot even mount the exh. hangs WAY too high & will melt the lip enuff to cut it in half at the arch in 30 min of driving.....

I will use stock exh too but i will prolly look for some Asbestos or other heat shielding panels ot screw or glue onto the rr cutout for protection....

edgy

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
yeah i saw a few posts ago on the heat shield..i will look for u...let me see if i can find it..

btw..i send u an e-mail....

edgy said:
a new tip welded o nthe exh muffler might be in order & prolly the cheapest most definite fix, i too have the a51 rr valkance but with the Hiper you cannot even mount the exh. hangs WAY too high & will melt the lip enuff to cut it in half at the arch in 30 min of driving.....

I will use stock exh too but i will prolly look for some Asbestos or other heat shielding panels ot screw or glue onto the rr cutout for protection....

edgy

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Thanks Bro.

lemme know what you find.. I was thinking of the specially made metal panels i see on race cars cut & shaped around the Exh. outlets to protect teh carbon bodywork.....these are usually riveted on etc but I could figger a way if I found the material.

Thanks again.

Ed G.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
someone mentioned to me a heat resistant tape that was sold at kragens....so i might take a look tonight.....i'll keep posted....

btw....my paint freaking chipped off already near that area...bout a nickel sized shape...luckily its at the curve area on the inside right above where the tip heat hits....so i just see a little of the black poly....sucks :roll:

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
YESS thats it i thot i saw that stuff somewhere....!

I ALSO have a nickel sized burn spot on the underside of the cutout overthe hiper tip.... on the stock bumper tho ...I scraped the hiper slightly on one of those plastic speedbumps & tho it didn't scratch the muffler it lifted it up & the tip touched the underside of the bumper cutout & it singed the friggin' paint off...

I never would have noticed it but the fuggin spot reflects all TOO nicely off the top of the Shiny clean Hiper Tip!!! couldn't figger out why that damn spot would not come off the tip no matter how hard i rubbed.......DOH!!!

Ed G.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yo edgy,

i bought some exhaust repair bandage....basically like foil with a sticky side....withstands 1200 degrees.....its working...atleast for now...deflects the heat when i stuck it on the inside of the curve of the lip near the tip....i still have a whole strand left if you want a piece....i have more than enough from the strip i bought....PM me if you do.... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
1NewLexIS300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing