Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I have been using these 17x7.5 OZ racing rims for winter. I wish to repaint them and get them in good shape for summer use. I really like the look.

Is the road rash too extensive to repair with bondo ect and then repaint myself? I`ve found enough DIY`s to feel confident on doing this myself.

FYI, yes, this is wife induced road rash-ness.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
What do you have to loose anyway?
He's probably going to want to loose the lug nuts on those wheels first.

:neener:

:cool:

I concur, what could go wrong? I do wonder how difficult it is to remove body filler should you want to have it done professionally after the fact.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,

I`m going for it. I just don`t know which Bondo product to use. Bondo says they do not have a product specifically for this application so, no recommendation my them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you take your wheels somewhere they will be cut on a lathe.

The cutting tool will have no problem cutting through the bondo.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thank you,

I`m going for it. I just don`t know which Bondo product to use. Bondo says they do not have a product specifically for this application so, no recommendation my them.
So, that said, how well is a body filler likely to hold up in the long run? I've heard of others doing this before, but I've gotten the impression that it doesn't hold to well under use, and cracks and splits off. I'd like to do this to my 11-spoke SportDesign wheels, so I'll be watching!

·
Registered
576 Posts
So, that said, how well is a body filler likely to hold up in the long run? I've heard of others doing this before, but I've gotten the impression that it doesn't hold to well under use, and cracks and splits off. I'd like to do this to my 11-spoke SportDesign wheels, so I'll be watching!
If the body filler is prepared well enough, it should last a long time - that obviously depends on if someone rubs the curb again. I would buff the damage down with a dremel tool first though.

I have some rims that need to be redone too but they have a lip that you could throw a balancing weight on. I'm going to have to use an angle grinder on mine to get rid of the lip. Yes, my road rash is that bad - way worse than yours.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I took a air powered hand held grinder to mine and just buffed and smoothed out my curb rash. I had a lot to, bought them used and did this because I knew I was powder coating them. Thats what I would do since your painting them. Screw bond and other fillers IMO. just go slow and don't apply a lot of pressure if you do this route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts