Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having bad luck with my keys lately. I lost my first master (its SOMEWHERE in the house) and my second master snapped so the actual key part seperated from the electronics in the remote like in this picture.

I tried starting the car with JUST the key and it didn't work, the car just turned but would never start. Do I need the electronics tied in with the key to start the car? It doesn't even seem like they connect at all....for now I'm just using my valet key and using the remote on it's own, but this is really killing me, is there something wrong with my keys?

·
Registered
426 Posts
you actually need the chip to start the key. The lexus keys are really easy to break. I get alot of customers coming in with broken keys at my work and complain about how easy the keys break. I just tell them to buy a new one. Then the real bitchen comes after i give the amount of the new key.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IS300bOy1080 said:
you actually need the chip to start the key. The lexus keys are really easy to break. I get alot of customers coming in with broken keys at my work and complain about how easy the keys break. I just tell them to buy a new one. Then the real bitchen comes after i give the amount of the new key.

:lol: thats me

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine broke and I got a new one free within a week. Just take it to the dealer if you are under warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
What are you guys doing to your keys? Mine is still in one piece, going on 4yrs now. :oops: I should'nt have said that...now my keys will break.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The Lexus service manager said the keys break all the time. Mine broke withing a couple month after I bought my car new....and I think I am a careful person.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I would never buy a new key.

I'd go all the way to Lexus Corporate. If your key breaks on me after 3 or 4 years of use, its the manufacturors problem, not mine. Having me pay 150-200 dollars for a new key because its cheap plastic is absolutely rediculous.

I dont see how there hasn't been a law suit filed for this yet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
[knock on wood] I havent broken my key either, but whenever I start the car I can feel that the plastic is weak. As long as you kept the head of the key near the ignition column, would the chip allow you to use the metal piece to start the car?

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Wisky said:
[knock on wood] I havent broken my key either, but whenever I start the car I can feel that the plastic is weak. As long as you kept the head of the key near the ignition column, would the chip allow you to use the metal piece to start the car?
It should, thats how the Hide-A-Key card works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most lexus dealers carry after market keys. It won't have the L on it but it will cost about 98 buck, then just swap the internals(chip and buttons).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts