Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im kinda confused on the exhausts..
are they legal..
for instance, take the HIPER exhaust for the IS300..(11rwhp)
EVEN though it is 50 state emissions and sound legal..is it still LEGAL TO DRIVE WITH AN EXHAUST ON YOUR CAR???
CAN COPS PULL ME OVER FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXHAUST???
please help me..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
???? sorry, im kinda lost on your question. as of right now, it is legal to put an aftermarket exhaust on your car provided it does not got above 95db(i believe thats right) and if your car can still pass emissions with it equipped. now cops can pull you over for it. my friend who owns a civic si has been pulled over a couple of times for the exhaust. he also has a hyper. they would give him a ticket, he would just either take it to court and get it thrown out or he would go to the police station and file a harrasment(spelling) charge on the police officer. hope that helped a little.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so as long as the exhaust passes all that stuff, its legal..right?

has anyone put the HKS HIPER exhaust on their IS300??
do u need the silencer to pass the sound test?
also, does it pass the emissions test too without silencer??

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by dpatterson069:
im kinda confused on the exhausts..
are they legal..
for instance, take the HIPER exhaust for the IS300..(11rwhp)
EVEN though it is 50 state emissions and sound legal..is it still LEGAL TO DRIVE WITH AN EXHAUST ON YOUR CAR???
CAN COPS PULL ME OVER FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXHAUST???
please help me..
dp--your message doesn't indicate where you reside, and it's tough to answer precisely, but somebody above answered the question pretty accurately. An aftermarket muffler is
permissible (Midas, Sears, Pep Boys, etc.)
if it doesn't adversely affect the smog level. As to noise levels and other aspects,
you should consult the Vehicle Code for your
state for decibel limits and other considerations.

As an example of selective enforcement: Many years ago in California, dual exhausts were illegal. Every guy who owned a hotrod had them, and most guys didn't get stopped.
But it does provide the cops with probable
cause, and if they want to hassle you, they can stop and detain you, and write a ticket if they feel like it.

As a general proposition, any violation of your state's Vehicle Code gives them probable cause for a stop. These would include tinting, front plate, unsafe chassis
height, exhaust noise, sound system noise(in
California it's illegal if you can hear it from +50 feet), colored lights, etc. etc.

The very best place to check is the Vehicle Code. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
for California here is the answer:

you can not add any modification to the exhaust that makes it louder than the stock system. They do not put a dB level on that law, only that it cannot be louder than stock. So, in Cali, technically you can't change the exhaust because I can't think of any of aftermarkets that don't make the car louder.

The CVC is available at the DMV for $3.00. Just got one last week.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
rseifer is correct. The legality of aftermarket exhausts are largely dependent on how your area has them legislated.

In my area, there is not a noise level measure used in the ordinance. The exhaust just cannot emit either excessive noise or fumes than OEM.

Also, the ordinance requires that law enforcement observe that the vehicle was operated on a public roadway. So if you get a ticket on your car while it's parked, it is likely inappropriate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Risk3233
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing