Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been following loosely and the impression I get is that cams dont seem to add that much power to boosted car. Does any one have any before and after cam dynos?

It seems like 450 whp at 14-15 psi is a great number, and I think ive seen 2 stocked headed cars reach it. I havent really seen the car with cams come in much higher then that..

I "think" cams depending one the kind will let you run more boost though.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats alot Numbers? I think most people seem to have cams w/o head work.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Cams help a lot if you have the proper headwork, just like Malek said. If you're looking for higher numbers it'd be better to just get a bigger turbo.

Cams help in driveability and powerband. It'll reduce turbo lag and increase output in the end. After going with a big turbo the cams don't really become a bottleneck, but it's a great thing to upgrade in terms of spreading your powerband out and making the most use of that boost.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're cam SHAFTS...not cam sticks...lol

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
joecrappa said:
Cams help a lot if you have the proper headwork, just like Malek said. If you're looking for higher numbers it'd be better to just get a bigger turbo.

Cams help in driveability and powerband. It'll reduce turbo lag and increase output in the end. After going with a big turbo the cams don't really become a bottleneck, but it's a great thing to upgrade in terms of spreading your powerband out and making the most use of that boost.

the cams wont be the bottle neck, but with extreme amounts of power, the head will sort of bottle neck the flow of air, not too much but enough to get decent gains once opened up.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sentinel said:
whats alot Numbers? I think most people seem to have cams w/o head work.

Most people don't need the porting and whatnot because it's easy to achieve high numbers with the right bottom end and crazy high boost. BUT, those who want to take their car to the track and road race, etc will do the porting as it helps a LOT with response, power up top, and stretching the power band out.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
the cams wont be the bottle neck, but with extreme amounts of power, the head will sort of bottle neck the flow of air, not too much but enough to get decent gains once opened up.
Isn't that what I wrote?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yes cams do make a difference, back in the day a member did 614rwhp and after the swap of 2 hks 264 cams made 660rwhp with a quick tune...

also imo the head is still last damn thing I would touch, it flows very well but certainly can be improved with a light port+ after exceeding 700rwhp..

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm whats that 9% Thanks for the numbers, any body have a delta at like 14 psi?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
LexISpooled said:
yes cams do make a difference, back in the day a member did 614rwhp and after the swap of 2 hks 264 cams made 660rwhp with a quick tune...

also imo the head is still last damn thing I would touch, it flows very well but certainly can be improved with a light port+ after exceeding 700rwhp..

*cough* Aldo *cough*

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sentinel said:
Ive been following loosely and the impression I get is that cams dont seem to add that much power to boosted car. Does any one have any before and after cam dynos?

It seems like 450 whp at 14-15 psi is a great number, and I think ive seen 2 stocked headed cars reach it. I havent really seen the car with cams come in much higher then that..

I "think" cams depending one the kind will let you run more boost though.

I really don't think this is the place to ask such a question. Nothing against you guys. You should talk to a tuner. They would be able to tell you everything a cam does. I put 272 in my car after talking to George about it. You can get lots of power with out them. Plus how many guys have cams on this forum that are putting out tons of power? I would say it was worth it....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
at 400-450rwhp I dont think its worth it honestly, after that the cams become a bottleneck for big power set-ups well over 500rwhp..with good gains across the board not jus peak power.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 272 cams in my auto... They are good for some more hp, if they are worth it or not is more of a personal question. Cams are helpful if around 450+whp... I am currently looking at a GT42R for my next setup (next summer). The next bottlenecks are:
1 throttle body
2 intake manifold
3 head (needs porting)
4 2.5" IC piping,etc

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
1yellowturbois said:
I have 272 cams in my auto... They are good for some more hp, if they are worth it or not is more of a personal question. Cams are helpful if around 450+whp... I am currently looking at a GT42R for my next setup (next summer). The next bottlenecks are:
1 throttle body
2 intake manifold
3 head (needs porting)
4 2.5" IC piping,etc
despite all the stuff you did, your power numbers still are a little disapointing to see for everything you did.....kinda irks me you spent all that money on the cams and other stuff which you really didnt need, yet, didnt upgrade the Throttle Body or to 3" IC piping, you could have made so much more power on pump gas just by changing those....;)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RAVEN said:
I really don't think this is the place to ask such a question. Nothing against you guys. You should talk to a tuner. They would be able to tell you everything a cam does. I put 272 in my car after talking to George about it. You can get lots of power with out them. Plus how many guys have cams on this forum that are putting out tons of power? I would say it was worth it....
what kinda retarded response is that? wtf is a forum for then?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I seems the bigger TB helps get more air in too. Thanks for te responses.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its ok... I am actually happy with my numbers at the time... Many of the mods that were done are for my future plans... I easilly pulled away from a CBR900RR and pulled about 4 cars on a 03 Zo6 with IHE mods in about an 1/8th from a roll.... If I can fix my traction issues, then I am going to a GT42R setup with a custom sheet metal intake, custom tubular manifold, etc If not, then I am going to park it in the garage and just buy a supra...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
1yellowturbois said:
1 throttle body
2 intake manifold
3 head (needs porting)
4 2.5" IC piping,etc

that turbo is a bad mofo :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts