Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People running the AR5 transmission:

Has anyone successfully used the W58 NA Supra pressure plate and single mass flywheel?

I am curious to know how it worked out, and if you needed to upgrade to a larger bore master cylinder as stated in this thread:

http://my.is/forums/f114/comprehensive-ar5-swap-thread-566154/#/topics/566154

If doing it again, would you still go this route?

I understand the most common route is to run the R154/1JZ flywheel, but I already am converted to the NA Supra clutch and flywheel setup, and would like to retain my flywheel if possible. The parts list is much smaller, and it looks like it could save me on cost and time.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did mine this way. I used an SC300 W58 flywheel. However I have an ACT pressure plate and ACT clutch. If you go this route, I recommend buying a billet bearing spacer for the internal slave. There’s too many horror stories about corvettes and Camaros overheating the stock plastic bearing spacer, and setting off a chain reaction that destroys the TOB and clutch.

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install

I actually got mine from Quartermaster, but the monsterclutch site has better pics/directions. You can’t add it after the fact. Well, you can but you must drop the trans to add it.

I did upgrade to a 3/4” bore master. From a 86 landcruiser I think. That was a real pita. Harder than pulling the motor lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, good to know about the bearing spacer.

Was the land cruiser clutch master any more diffucult than it would have been to replace a factory master?

Looking back at it do you wish you had gone the other route?

I prefer an external slave, but it also seems much more simple to run the internal slave, and keeping some of my current components is a major pro.

Also on a separate note, what was your measurement from transmission to diff for your driveshaft?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks for the reply, good to know about the bearing spacer.

Was the land cruiser clutch master any more diffucult than it would have been to replace a factory master?

Looking back at it do you wish you had gone the other route?

I prefer an external slave, but it also seems much more simple to run the internal slave, and keeping some of my current components is a major pro.

Also on a separate note, what was your measurement from transmission to diff for your driveshaft?

No, it wasn’t difficult because it was a LC MC. It is a giant pita because of the lack of room under the dash. There’s all the subsystem ecus that really limit access. I kind of made it hard on myself too, because when I did the swap in my garage I had the car pulled over pretty far, so I couldn’t open the driver’s door all the way. Just something I didn’t think about before pulling the motor/trans out.

Not trying to jinx myself, but it’s been fine with the internal TOB. If I ever need a more capable clutch I will get the Driftmotion Super Single. It also uses an internal TOB, so I would do it again. It kind of makes me nervous to have to pull the trans if there’s a slave issue, but there’s tons of chevys with this same setup, so I guess it’s proven. It’s not too awful to pull the motor, I mean I can think of a bunch of other ways to pass the time but yeah, not the worst.

Man I don’t remember how long it was. 48”? You have to get a driveshaft with a slip joint so as long as you’re measurements are fairly close you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did mine this way. I used an SC300 W58 flywheel. However I have an ACT pressure plate and ACT clutch. If you go this route, I recommend buying a billet bearing spacer for the internal slave. There’s too many horror stories about corvettes and Camaros overheating the stock plastic bearing spacer, and setting off a chain reaction that destroys the TOB and clutch.

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install

I actually got mine from Quartermaster, but the monsterclutch site has better pics/directions. You can’t add it after the fact. Well, you can but you must drop the trans to add it.

I did upgrade to a 3/4” bore master. From a 86 landcruiser I think. That was a real pita. Harder than pulling the motor lol.
I'm curious which TOB/slave did you use? Did you use the ar5 one from the original linked thread, or a different one? I'm doing the same swap and have an ar5 throwout bearing, and I plan on doing the billet spacer now as well.

My biggest concern right now is trying to bleed the whole clutch setup without the bleeder on the slave. How hard was the setup to bleed?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yep, used the solstice slave, along with the billet spacer.

It’s kind of a process to bleed, you need a mity vac bleeder gun. I don’t think you can bleed it without one. Basically fill the res with fluid and pull down a vacuum to get the air out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys im also in the middle of going this route. what slave did you guys use? i noticed there are two part number 06 and 07? they seem to be different lengths? judging by the bottom plate area.

also what did yo guys use for clutch line?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi, I used the hydraulic throwout bearing that was stock on the 06 Solstice trans. I don’t know about if the 06-07 TOBs are different, have to call GM or do a parts lookup comparison.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a billet bearing spacer like this or this. The stocker is plastic and it only takes a few minutes of reading Camaro and corvette forums of the woes of the stock plastic spacer melting and causing a catastrophic clutch failure. Think it was like $70 of cheap insurance, totally worth it to not worry about destroying the much costlier clutch disk.

As far as the line, I took the factory fitting for the TOB and cut the hard line off. Trued up the fitting in a lathe and bored the hole and tapped for 1/8 NPT. Then bought a male 1/8 NPT to femal whatever the Toyota size is, M10x1 I think.Verify that, before you do it. There’s probably an off the shelf adapter for it but I have the means to DIY it so that’s whatI did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts