Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that this project is a go, it's time the thread is created.

We got the (w58) tranny out about na hour ago, and started to take measurements. I'm going to post them here for reference, but once this swap is complete, you'll know exactly what is needed for the swap to work.

details
-W55 bellhousing to center of shifter mount - 28.5"
-Front of w55 to center of shifter mount - 22.5" (bellhousing not installed)
-W55 bellhousing to tranny mount (center of first hole closest to motor - 27-7/8"
-the 2jz flywheel will not work, it is too big for the 1jz flywheel despite having the same bolt pattern
-these trannies having taken tons of abuse, the guy I'm working with put a 2j in his solstice, and on a dynacon dyno put down 886/741. He says dynacon dynos read high, so he thinks its more like high 700s/600s. The thing has taken a ton of launches, and significant time doing top speed runs/pulls. He blew a tranny because he didnt use the dowels to line up the trans, and had problems with the flywheel bolts backing out, though he caught it in time.

parts
-1jzgte flywheel (OE or XTR brand sold on eBay)
-1jz bellhousing
-7mgte pressure plate
-7mgte clutch disc with gm splines ( to match with ar5 tranny). ACT can make custom discs
-ARP flywheel bolts. MUST DO THIS. The OE bolts are not to break/back out
-drift motion flywheel locking ring (optional, works for 1j and 2j)
-15mm double flanged release bearing. Details are unclear, but this may be a bmw e36 part, but you can get the, as well as McMaster Carr.
-1jz slave cylinder and fork
-GM tranny fluid. This apparently is a must, they are ideal for gm trannies, other oils like redline destroy them. I don't know this personally, only heeding the warning of someone who did the swap.
-and of course, an AR5 tranny. Ideally, it is an 06 pre interim tranny, they are known for havi stronger center sections.
-custom driveshaft

current unknowns as of 1-1-13
-driveshaft length
-cost of custom disc (source thinks he paid 138 for ACT to make his disc
-will the shifter pod line up, or be close, or will an extended pod be needed

This will be a slower process, I have a lot of LED projects that I am working on as well. I you have anything to add, feel free to do so. The more, the merrier.

·
Registered
834 Posts
subbed! might be doing this in the near future

·
Registered
802 Posts
lemme know if you need any help or need anything at all... you have my number.

btw i got a place off of North Ave....pretty close to where we met for elmhurst show that does custom driveshafts(they did mine)... Chrome moly and never gunna break!

and i know its probably in the future but once u get trans mounted correctly they will tell how how they want you to measure to get correct length.. or you can just bring ur car there too and they do everything.

http://www.suburbandriveline.com/

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lemme know if you need any help or need anything at all... you have my number.

btw i got a place off of North Ave....pretty close to where we met for elmhurst show that does custom driveshafts(they did mine)... Chrome moly and never gunna break!

and i know its probably in the future but once u get trans mounted correctly they will tell how how they want you to measure to get correct length.. or you can just bring ur car there too and they do everything.

Suburban Driveline - Villa Park, IL
Yep, suburban is the only way to go.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mine was custom made chrome moly driveshaft with serviceable and beefy as hell ujoints. Mine was for th400 to stock diff and it was $425-450 if i remember correctly... That driveshaft will be the last thing that breaks on my setup. When they did mine, it was there first one for a is300 so i gave them my stock shaft so they could get all the correct parts matched.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Thats a hell of a price ^^^

Nick if you need anything also just hit me up ..... And ill try to do anything i can to help..

Here is some more AR5 general info....

2008 Aisin AR-5 (MA5) Car And Truck Transmission

2008 Model Year Summary
Aisin AR-5 (MA5) five-speed manual car and truck transmission
Carryover from 2007 Model Year

• Ratio For 3rd Gear Higher For Pontiac Solstice And Saturn Sky
• 1st And 3rd Gears Strengthened With Shot Peening Process
• Clutch Made Larger For Hummer H3 Application
• 2nd And 3rd Gear Synchronizers Changed To Carbon On H3 Application

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF CARRYOVER FEATURES

RATIO FOR 3RD GEAR HIGHER FOR PONTIAC SOLSTICE AND SATURN SKY
The ratio for 3rd gear on both roadsters was made “shorter”, or higher, to allow higher engine rpm for better performance in 3rd gear and bring it closer to 2nd gear. This change is not applied to the compact pickup trucks, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.

1ST AND 3RD GEARS STRENGTHENED WITH SHOT PEENING PROCESS
The 1st and 3rd gearsets on the Solstice and Sky, and the Hummer H3, are strengthened by a shot peening process during gear manufacturing. The increase in torque from the new high-performance 2.0L I4 turbocharged engine in the Solstice GXP and the Sky Red Line, as well as in the new 3.7L I5 in the H3 required the stronger gears.

CLUTCH MADE LARGER FOR HUMMER H3 APPLICATION
To handle the increased power and torque from the new 3.7L I5 in the Hummer H3, the clutch was increased in diameter from 265mm to 280mm.

2ND AND 3RD GEAR SYNCHRONIZERS CHANGED TO CARBON ON H3 APPLICATION
The friction material on the synchronizers for the 2nd and 3rd gear blocker rings are changed from brass to carbon, which is a more durable and heat-resistant material. This allows the transmission to handle the increased torque of the new 3.7L I5 in the H3.

LOW MAINTENANCE
The Aisin AR-5 uses Esso 75W90 for lubrication. There is no maintenance required under normal operating conditions, although fluid changes are recommended for severe duty. A GM part number service oil is available from GM dealers.

OVERVIEW

To achieve car-like standards in running noise and shift quality, the proven Aisin AR-5 was selected for the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon (GMT355) compact pickup truck line. This transmission will handle the torque output of the base and uplevel engines, which will reduce assembly and service complexity.

The design and performance targets were supplied to Aisin by GM Powertrain to make the AR-5 a state-of-the-art manual light-duty transmission. The AR-5 is currently used by Isuzu and Toyota, although the gearsets and ratios for the GM application are unique.

The Aisin AR-5 was selected as a starting point because of its characteristic low-noise levels during operation and the light shift feel and smooth gear engagement properties. The Aisin unit is used in competitive sport-utility applications, meeting car-like noise standards.

The Aisin 5-speed transmission is a conventional two-axis manual gearbox, with a through shaft and a counter shaft, spaced 82mm apart on-center. It is cast in aluminum, and weighs 107 pounds. The gear selector pattern is conventional for a five speed manual transmission, with the reverse gate on the far right side and rearward. The shift lever connects directly to the top of the transmission.

Triple-cone synchronizers are used on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. These synchronizers have three friction surfaces, which increase their ability to transfer the flow of torque more smoothly from one gear to another. Synchronizers act as clutches to speed up or slow down the gearsets that are being shifted to, and greater friction area results in easier shifting for the driver. All of the friction surfaces on the synchronizer rings are brass. The ratios in the 5-speed are widely spaced in the pickup truck applications for versatile performance and efficiency, and are optimized for both the 2.8L I4 in the compact pickups and the 3.7L I5 in the Hummer H3. Both engines share the same ratios.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I need to know right now is the distance fro mthe front of the tranny to the center of the shifter pod on the solstice/sky AR5. The one of the truck is much shorter, and needs an extended shifter to work. I want to avoid as much fabrication as possible.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..can either of you post approx how much they charge??

... i'd like to get a ballpark on a custom DS to compare to options out here in my area.....

thanks..
Without all of the customization, they are around 200 or so.

·
10,234 Posts
I am a big fan of DIYer and new options therefore I am going to sticky this, so as long as it gets frequently updated.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't promise frequent, but I plan on seeing this through. I sent an eBay msg to a company selling an ar5, with the bellhousing, tranny shifter to bellhousing length is 33.5" which is irrelevant for our application.

Please note that you must use the 1jzgte bellhousing, NOT the 7mgte bellhousing. They look similar. The jz bellhousing has a curved area between the bottom bolts and a purple paint or tint on the top.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I'm trying to get tranny dimensions. I've gotten conflicting answers, and now I'm talking to a shop that dos LSx swaps into solstices, hoping he has a tranny I can use for measuring. May try to stop by there tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sent them an email awhile back, but it was during sema, ill try them again.

1 - 20 of 546 Posts