Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an ar5 swap on my IS and I would really like some input on your experiences with the clutch setup you went with. I spoke with Aaron from driftmotion this morning and that got me rethinking my clutch setup. I was planning on using keeping the factory internal slave setup and using the w58 push style flywheel (this one) and act pressure plate (this one) I bought. Along with a drift motion disc for the ar5 swap. Aaron said that would work. But also said its not a great direction to go and he recommends using the r154 parts with fork etc. He mentioned the throw-out bearing not being the correct size and also this setup possibly putting pressure on the back of the block.

Specifically:
What clutch setup did you use? Please include as much detail as you can.
What made you go that direction?
Did you have any issues?
Would you go that way again?

Would really appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I’m using the AR5 internal TOB, ACT HD PP, ACT full face sprung disc. I really wanted a twin setup but felt like I needed to compromise somewhere, since I’d bought a swap engine, single turbo setup, AEM Infinity etc. No issues so far, going on 4 years with it. I advise getting the billet TOB spacer in lieu of the stock plastic one. One Google read of the horror of the plastic part melting and destroying everything will convince you it’s cheap $70 insurance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m using the AR5 internal TOB, ACT HD PP, ACT full face sprung disc. I really wanted a twin setup but felt like I needed to compromise somewhere, since I’d bought a swap engine, single turbo setup, AEM Infinity etc. No issues so far, going on 4 years with it. I advise getting the billet TOB spacer in lieu of the stock plastic one. One Google read of the horror of the plastic part melting and destroying everything will convince you it’s cheap $70 insurance.
Thanks Kris I was hoping to hear from you, I had read some of your other posts about your setup. Really appreciate it. And I had seen your other posts about the billet spacer so I have one on order now.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks Kris I was hoping to hear from you
No problem, man. Forgot to say that I was using a stock Lexus SC300 W58 flywheel, and I did swap to the Land Cruiser master cylinder as well. What a beeyotch that MC was to swap lol. The feel of the clutch pedal is stiffer than stock, but the pedal travel is pretty short. It’s also pretty on/off, and not very slippable. I’d like to eventually switch to a twin disc setup, but they’re expensive and I’d have to do the work to get it done. I don’t have a lift, so I think pulling the motor/trans would be easier than just the trans alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts