Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will probably give me some ponies. But my main incentive to get this is that it might give me better mpg.. is this true? I figure it will lean out fuel.. which means less fuel (enought to make a difference???)

anyone have this installed and ever compare the mpg's???

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: Crispy3 ]

·
Registered
635 Posts
It depends on the setting. I put a lot more power to my car, and the gas mileage is not as good as stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you engine will start to die..if you run to lean, you start melting pistons and stuff.. i think the mod is great for tuning

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think it will melt the pistons... The check engine light will be on, and the fuel will be cut if you are running too rich (happens to one of my friend with the V-AFC)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hum I was under the impression that to gain power you let more air in and lean out fuel which means less gas... so how could it be either better gas milage or better power? should be both at the same time??

can some vets help us out please?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The IS300 has an air mass sensor and feedback in the O2 sensor to set the correct fuel/air mixtures - independent of whatever you do to the exhaust or intake. Even if you leave the air filter out (not recommended) the engine will run with a correct air/fuel mixture. All you can hope to do is reduce the input airflow restiction with a different filter. The engine is an air pump, pumping intake air out through the exhaust, using fuel and making power in the process. Less air intake restriction makes it a slightly more efficient pump - meaning slightly better gas mileage and/or power. I think the operative word here is 'slightly', as borne out by many dyno examples. Id be interested to see if anyone has any before and after gas mileage figures. My personal experience on other cars is that it was not a significant gain if any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts