Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum recently, I just need to know where everyone puts their V1 and where they tapped into in that spot. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
lexusaltezza said:
I remember seeing a valentine 1 built into the rear view mirror. :eek: Im not sure how they did it, but it was niceeeeeeee.
dt1313's install has the direction arrows in the mirror. Check out vlad's link up above.

·
Registered
436 Posts
And is this rearview mirror something we can all buy or was it a one-off for DT1313's car ????

Absolute

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
I think the mirror is sold by Valintine and is in fact a BMW 3 Series mirror if i'm not misstaken. some one will certainly correct me if i'm wrong.

absoluteis300 said:
And is this rearview mirror something we can all buy or was it a one-off for DT1313's car ????

Absolute

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
I think the mirror is sold by Valintine and is in fact a BMW 3 Series mirror if i'm not misstaken. some one will certainly correct me if i'm wrong.

absoluteis300 said:

Absolute
I'm 99% sure that Dan's was all done with the factory mirror. Etching the glass and taking the monitor and stuff apart to fit everything is what makes it so insane!! :p
Valentine1 does not have anything regarding selling soemthing like this on their website, but it looks like you might be able to get something here:
http://www.umnitza.com/new/loader.html?page=inv1si

Anyways, hope that helps.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looks kinda weak compared to DT1313's setup..

Think that place he got it from would take custom orders???

Absolute

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Looks like your are right the mirror i was thinking of is that round one, but it looks like they will do it for you if send them your mirror and the consealed display.

You Already Have A Concealed Display from ValentineOne.com
You Provided Your Own Mirror - or Core Charge
Your Mirror is non Auto Dimming
bk9 said:
I'm 99% sure that Dan's was all done with the factory mirror. Etching the glass and taking the monitor and stuff apart to fit everything is what makes it so insane!! :p
Valentine1 does not have anything regarding selling soemthing like this on their website, but it looks like you might be able to get something here:
http://www.umnitza.com/new/loader.html?page=inv1si

Anyways, hope that helps.

·
8,880 Posts
NiCeLeX said:
i have mine under my mirror, but i have an 02 and i still cant figure out how to hardwire it myself... :oops:
It's not that hard. See my instructions posted above.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
vlad_a said:
NiCeLeX said:
i have mine under my mirror, but i have an 02 and i still cant figure out how to hardwire it myself... :oops:
It's not that hard. See my instructions posted above.

ive read them already. Ive done a search and tried everything. Still no luck trying to wire it to the mirror/...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I drew power from the cigarette lighter. I thought about the mirror, but since I was mounting the remote display and remote audio adapter/switch in the space under the radio (above the ashtray), it seemed to make more
sense to draw from the cigarette lighter. Also, the space between the headliner and roof is pretty tight, so I'm not sure the V1 direct wire power adapter would fit in there w/o crimping something or put pressure on the headliner.

I don't like to use electrotap things, and luckily, the design of the cigarette lighter plug is so that if you know how to crimp terminals and strip wires, you can build an adapter which goes between the lighter and the connector, and lets you plug in the V1 wire w/o changing, cutting, or tapping the stock wiring in any way. I'd recommend attaching the ground wire directly to the chassis.

The main V1 unit is clipped to my driver side visor, right next to the rearview mirror.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
No, The V1 power adapter will not fit.
It is not to be used when tapping into the mirror/compass power.
A phone cable or orignal V1 power adapter - radar detector wire needs to be cut and soldered into the mirror power wires.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
vlad_a said:
^^^^
No, The V1 power adapter will not fit.
It is not to be used when tapping into the mirror/compass power.
A phone cable or orignal V1 power adapter - radar detector wire needs to be cut and soldered into the mirror power wires.

are you serious? so in order to hardwire it i need to cut and solder the wire? i cant even run a cord from the cig lighter because the 02' has the airbags in the pillers

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I tapped my cig lighter and it took me 10mins... ran the phone cable behind the dash and up the Apillar behind the trim and onto the visor where i have the V1 clipped.

Whats so hard about splicing 2 wires? :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm against making irreversible modifications to the factory wiring in any way, so cutting and soldering was not an option. The cigarette lighter can be used in a way that an adapter can be built to go between the cigarette lighter connector and terminals where you can draw power for the V1 direct wire power adapter. The ground can be attached to a chassis bolt.

The adapter can be built from wires and terminals that you can find in most auto parts stores. Actually, you'll need two adapters, one for power, and the other is an extension wire, so the ground can still be connected to the cigarette lighter. A tip: The "small" terminal is positive. I found this out only after I made the adapter, but in reverse polarity, so I actually made them twice. If anyone's interested, I can take pictures of how the final setup looks from the outside (sorry, no pics during the actual installation).

The V1 direct wire power adapter sits directly in front of the shifter, under the ashtray. The extra wire length of the adapter is tied to the harness to the right side of the shifter area. No modification to the factory wiring or the V1 adapter in any way. The ground for the V1 direct wire adapter is one of the bolts that secures the plastic trim around the shifter. My car is auto, so not sure if manual cars have the same bolts.

So, from the cigarette lighter area, you can run the wire along the inside of the driver side of the console (next to where your right leg below the knee sits), then under the dash (you'll have to remove the lower dash trim on the driver side), then up through to the base of the A-pillar (fishing the wire to the base of the A-pillar is a pain), then up the A-pillar, into the headliner, and coming out near the rearview mirror.

From a post I made in another V1 hardwire thread:

"To remove the A-pillar cover, you pull out the cover that says "SRS" on it, and there is a 10mm bolt underneath. Remove the bolt. It is now held in by a clip and a metal slide type thing. After removing the bolt, push the assembly down towards the dash, then pull outward. You have to release the metal slide thing, and sliding it down will slide it into an area where you can pull it out. If you don't slide the cover down far enough, it will never come out. You'll see what I mean when you get it out. The clip will probably stay attached to the A-pillar, so before putting it back, you have to remove the clip, and put it back on the cover.

After it's off, route the wire along the factory harness on top of the airbag, but make sure it's tied down to the harness in a way that it's not going to interfere with the airbag. That's it. Takes some time, but it's pretty easy."

That's how I did it. There's factory wiring all along that route, so I just zip tied the wire down to the factory wiring harness the whole way. Be careful not to crack the headliner material when you are working in there. It makes things easier to remove the both visors, the sunroof switch/dome light, and the driver side pull handle on the left side. That way, you aren't "flexing" the headliner at as extreme of an angle. On the cigarette lighter side, it also helps a lot if you remove the lower center console area that sits on top of the center tunnel. The instructions are in another thread. Removing this gives you a lot more space to work in.

NiCeLeX said:
are you serious? so in order to hardwire it i need to cut and solder the wire? i cant even run a cord from the cig lighter because the 02' has the airbags in the pillers

·
8,880 Posts
Soldering into factory wires is very much reversible.
All you need is wire cutters and electric tape.
It is nothing to be against.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, anything that involves cutting wires, or even stripping of wire insulation is non-reversible, meaning it can't be made to be exactly the same as original again.

Solder joints are also not as reliable as direct terminal connections, although it's not as much of a problem for interior wiring (as opposed to engine bay or exterior wiring.

-Ben

vlad_a said:
Soldering into factory wires is very much reversible.
All you need is wire cutters and electric tape.
It is nothing to be against.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts