Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am going to purchase an Alpine head unit from my room mate for very cheap. I would prefer a double din unit, but the price is too good to resist a flip-out single din. I am concerned about it being in the way of the climate controls. Has anyone installed a dash kit and used the bottom for the head unit and the top of the double din for the pocket? If anyone has any pics of anything like that, that would be awesome! Also, let me know if you guys think this might not be a great idea :)

Thanks so much!

Chris

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hello All!

I am going to purchase an Alpine head unit from my room mate for very cheap. I would prefer a double din unit, but the price is too good to resist a flip-out single din. I am concerned about it being in the way of the climate controls. Has anyone installed a dash kit and used the bottom for the head unit and the top of the double din for the pocket? If anyone has any pics of anything like that, that would be awesome! Also, let me know if you guys think this might not be a great idea :)

Thanks so much!

Chris
Yes, this will work fine. The braces inside the middle console area that hold the stereo in are 100% DIN compatible. You can have a 2DIN unit, or two 1DIN units screwed in and either way it will fit. So the 1DIN pocket and 1DIN HU can be swapped without issues. You just need a decent dash kit to make it look good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I just hoped that it wouldn't look too out of place. The price is too good to pass up, but it's not the one I would prefer to install. Who knows, maybe it will be better than I expect!

Thanks so much for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts