Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if i HAVE TO spray a clear coat on after i stick em on? will they fall off if i don't? Can't seem to find any hi temp clear coat around here...

thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put mine on about 1000 miles ago with no clear coat, and haven't had any problems yet. Can't say for the long haul though...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I applied numerous coats of G2, then applied the stickers. No clearcoat needed. Plus, I heard some people say that their stickers started peeling when they applied too much clearcoat.

Here's a pic of mine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1Noless said:
I applied numerous coats of G2, then applied the stickers. No clearcoat needed. Plus, I heard some people say that their stickers started peeling when they applied too much clearcoat.

Here's a pic of mine.

wow..that looks great! i'm gonna put mine on tonite after work..think i can squeeze em in w/o having to remove the rim? i'm on stock 17's...so i think there might be enough gap in btwn the spokes...
and yah, i'm lazy! :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
brc said:
..think i can squeeze em in w/o having to remove the rim?
I did mine a day after I painted the calipers and the rims were still off.

You're gonna be mad at yourself if you mess them up. I would say remove the wheels first.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I effed mine up real bad. Got too anxious. I didnt let the paint dry enough. The i sprayed the clear coat on too soon and the stickers started to curl. Ive gotta redo them.

brc: did you remove your calipers to paint them..or did u just tape stuff up?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
1Noless said:
brc said:
..think i can squeeze em in w/o having to remove the rim?
I did mine a day after I painted the calipers and the rims were still off.

You're gonna be mad at yourself if you mess them up. I would say remove the wheels first.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.
With the wheels on you can put the rear stickers on easily, but I had a hard time doing the fronts with them on. I messed up one and it was a pain to peel it off. I say remove the front wheels. I also used G2 paint and no clear coat and they are fine after 4K miles.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Astr0LuX said:
I effed mine up real bad. Got too anxious. I didnt let the paint dry enough. The i sprayed the clear coat on too soon and the stickers started to curl. Ive gotta redo them.

brc: did you remove your calipers to paint them..or did u just tape stuff up?
I bought the caliper paint from a speed shop- then my mechanic took em off and painted em for me for $50 CDN..so all in all a good deal, and professional quality job! :D i'll post pix as soon as i get the stickers on...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
definitely remove the wheels. I had to remove the rear ones too b/c I have the SportDesign 11-spoke wheels.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
eff..ill just have to take the paint off and repaint them. I tried to fit it all in one day and that just didnt work..I got way too anxious. ;\

·
Registered
538 Posts
I did my calipers almost 2 years ago with some HIGH TEMP paint from Pep boys and they turned out great. The back one's turned out good, but the front turned out like a pro did it. Took me an hour just about for each caliper and I removed the calipers in the back to paint them. I applied the stickers the next day on the calipers without the clear coat and after numerous washes my back caliper stickers finallly gave way. The front are still in tact and looking good, so I need some new back one's. It looks funny with a L from the sticker taking the paint with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
definitely remove the wheels. I had to remove the rear ones too b/c I have the SportDesign 11-spoke wheels.
Hey man, do you have any pics of your wheels with the painted calipers?
I am thinking of painting them too, but since I have the 11-spoke SD wheels, I am not sure if it will come out nice, and not visible afterall... :p
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts