Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into getting some TE37 in white or bronze, but i hear, not too sure about this, that the TE37s are not a good road, daily driving wheel. and they were designed for racing. and i've heard stories of the rim breaking or cracking. is this true? cuz if the TE37s are bunk, imma just get some RH evolutions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
LexDymndz,

TE37's are forged alloy wheels...they are lighter and pretty strong, but I don't think they are going to take too many potholes. I can safely say that they can take less abuse than heavier wheels.

What size are you going? If you are going 17...I wouldn't worry to much. You probably don't want 18 inch TE37's if the area you live in has bad roads.

I have 18 inch TE37's on my car for about 7 months and haven't hit any potholes, but plenty of bumps. I use my S2K as a daily driver, and memorized all of the smooth roads in houston. I have to drive like a sissy when the roads are bad.

------------------
Unicron
S2000/00/Silver/Black/4766 (2) (3)
-Comptech Coilovers
-18x7.5 & 18x8.5 Anthracite Volk Racing TE37's
GrandTouring

[This message has been edited by Unicron (edited November 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by LexDymndz:
Im looking into getting some TE37 in white or bronze, but i hear, not too sure about this, that the TE37s are not a good road, daily driving wheel. and they were designed for racing. and i've heard stories of the rim breaking or cracking. is this true? cuz if the TE37s are bunk, imma just get some RH evolutions.
TE37 are super light rims, I think they weight 17 lbs. for the 18 inchers. They are forged, so they should be really strong. As SCC said, "go light and go forged." Something like that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
LEX: this must be your lucky day. I have black 18" Volk TE-37's on my black IS, AND I GO TO UCI. so if you want to see how they look lemme know. ill be goin to the bay this weekend though. crazy...

mike..

heres some pics..

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
nice IS....I haven't seen ur IS around school (UCI here too), all of them I've seen have been stock. Where do you usually park? Maybe it's just i don't visit the parking lots too often. Glad to know that there's another Toyota owner out there, cuz there's too many Civics and Integras at school.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i only have 18x7.5. the tires im usin are 225/40/18 pirellia p7000s. nothin great. im tryin to go thru this set to get another. hopefully we can get a socal IS meet so i can burn some rubber thru the canyons.

mike

i dont park on campus. im not goin to disclose where i park. i think where i park is cool and safe. i dont trust people walkin by and scratchin my car. i dont see a lot of fixed up IS' yet. i ran into h1ghf1del1ty today. he just got the rmm intake and exhaust. looks hella clean. only other fixed up IS i saw at school so far. oh yeah, just got my 5000 mi. check up. car still runs as perfect when i got it almost 3 months ago.

mike

p.s. i used to fit the mold here at UCI. i did drive a fixed up integ. but oh well. that was the past. i do miss it tho. =[

unicron. i was gonna get an S2000 but i decided against it. but seein yours doesnt make my decision any easier. sweet ride. how do u like your rims. mine havent given me any trouble yet. im tryin to avoid bad roads at all cost. good thing irvine is pretty well maintained.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Unicorn- is that color gun metal?

acuraracing- did you lower you car? if so, what kinda suspension did you use?

thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
mrclam,

Thanks for the compliment!

acuracing,

Thanks, but you have a really tight ride. I'll tell you though, the S2000 is a bit unpractical for a daily driver. I also had to pay way over MSRP ($32,000). I paid $36,500.00 loaded, which is almost not really worth it, but I wanted one really bad.

I love the rims...especially your color and mine. They are super light. The stock 16x7 1/2 rear wheel and 225/50/16 weigh 40 pounds. The TE37 18x8 1/2 rear wheel and 245/35/18 weigh 39 pounds. I am using Toyo Proxes T1-S in the rear, which is a really light tire also.

Master,

Yep, the color is Gunmetal (Anthracite).

------------------
Unicron
S2000/00/Silver/Black/4766 (2) (3)
-Comptech Coilovers
-18x7.5 & 18x8.5 Anthracite Volk Racing TE37's
GrandTouring

[This message has been edited by Unicron (edited November 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Unicron:
mrclam,

Thanks for the compliment!

acuracing,

Thanks, but you have a really tight ride. I'll tell you though, the S2000 is a bit unpractical for a daily driver. I also had to pay way over MSRP ($32,000). I paid $36,500.00 loaded, which is almost not really worth it, but I wanted one really bad.

Master,

Yep, the color is Gunmetal (Anthracite).

Anthracite and Gunmetal are the same? I don't think they are the same on the Supra. Anthracite Supras are known by the name MSB.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hey Acuracing, this is freaky, almost anything you get or want to get is similar to my. I was debating on the S2000 as well but the IS300 came alone. And I have the exact same car as you do except for those mods, and we are both here at UCI. Freaky, isn't it.
BTW, have you guys seen the momo black rims? they looked really nice, although I don't know whether or not they fit our cars?
Also, I just saw that blonde with the White IS today at the BofA across from John Wayne. Does she goes to UCI?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
whoever told u that the te37 will break or crack..thats nonsense..these are lightweight forged rims...RH Evolution..are u kidding me?? those rims are a joke..1piece casted...theyll bend on u if u hit anything...theyre really cheap rims...if you're wanting something nice..I suggest the Blitz Technospeed Z1..i have some 19" on the way...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts