Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to be able to build off of this 300hp in the future, as of now the car sits at my old shop waiting for an engine rebuild. First off, the engine has nearly 200k miles (<2,000 away from it). So, New engine from JDM orlando for $2300, Junkyard build up, or just use my engine and repair as necessary. I am fairly ceartain a rod bearing is out, the head seems to be fine, at least as far as no white smoking goes to say. I do need a power steering rack as well, any suggestions? My main goal with whatever engine route I decide to go is making it capable of 300 ponies, I am fairly new to the engine building scene so you will really be advancing my knowledge by giving a helping hand on this thread. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really want to be able to build off of this 300hp in the future, as of now the car sits at my old shop waiting for an engine rebuild. First off, the engine has nearly 200k miles (<2,000 away from it). So, New engine from JDM orlando for $2300, Junkyard build up, or just use my engine and repair as necessary. I am fairly ceartain a rod bearing is out, the head seems to be fine, at least as far as no white smoking goes to say. I do need a power steering rack as well, any suggestions? My main goal with whatever engine route I decide to go is making it capable of 300 ponies, I am fairly new to the engine building scene so you will really be advancing my knowledge by giving a helping hand on this thread. I appreciate it!
Lexus Life forever^

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can’t. /thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn! Well, any opinion on which route I should go for the engine? If so, what are some pretty great things I can do to set myself up for some crazy boost down the line? Prerequesetes if you must, I'm not planning on turboing it now unless it is in my budget, since a lot of the car also needs put together, though I would rather use most of my budget for close to top of the line parts. I have about a $2500 limit set as of now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Damn! Well, any opinion on which route I should go for the engine? If so, what are some pretty great things I can do to set myself up for some crazy boost down the line? Prerequesetes if you must, I'm not planning on turboing it now unless it is in my budget, since a lot of the car also needs put together, though I would rather use most of my budget for close to top of the line parts. I have about a $2500 limit set as of now.
The body has 200k miles so do some maintenance. Suspension, some wheels, and set aside the rest for if any issues come up. But turboing a car isn’t cheap. Also do some research, you’re not the first person to mod these cars so go check out other peoples builds and get an idea for your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
300hp naturally aspirated is going to require a substantial increase in the point where peak torque and power are made. Or a nice increase in displacement. Or both.

I would take the increased displacement route - and do it via a Chevrolet 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2

·
Registered
2002 is300
8 Posts
I'd agree with Hodgdon If you want a cheap power go LS swap. For $2500 you could probably get some get GTE rods and pistons and some cams and valve springs. Get your engine built for some boost then put the engine back in the car and save up for the turbo parts. Their wont be any real power increase until you actually put the turbo on though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I guess LS are dime a dozen over there, but over here buying one is about the same cost or more of the turbo option. Our local auction site has them for about NZ$12k (~US$8k), then you have all the fitment and compliance costs added in.

3UZ option is not too bad though, they are about NZ$3500 (~US$2500) and from what i understand is a more simple install . . . well relatively lol

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,919 Posts
I guess LS are dime a dozen over there…
You said it! They are pretty easy to get your hands on. Especially at the junkyards.

As far as a boosted 2JZ, it will never match the bigger displacement engine as far as power and torque UNDER the curve at lower rpms. However using a smaller exhaust housing or smaller turbo in general will provide very minimal lag. Of course top end power won’t be as significant, but near instant spool times translates into usable torque.

FOR THE OP, AGAIN JUST LEAVE IT STOCK AND SAVE YOUR MONEY TO BOOST THE CAR RIGHT

·
Registered
690 Posts
I guess LS are dime a dozen over there...
To be more clear, the 4.8 and 5.3 iron block gen 3s and gen 4s are cheap and prolific. The 6.0 and 6.2 iron block gen 3s and gen 4s are more expensive, but not too bad. The 5.7 gen 3 aluminum engines are basically all gone. The 6.0 and 6.2L gen3/gen4 in aluminum are quite expensive ($6-7k). The 7L aluminum gen 3 is crazy money and the aluminum gen 5s really haven't become available yet on the "used" market.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
To be more clear, the 4.8 and 5.3 iron block gen 3s and gen 4s are cheap and prolific. The 6.0 and 6.2 iron block gen 3s and gen 4s are more expensive, but not too bad. The 5.7 gen 3 aluminum engines are basically all gone. The 6.0 and 6.2L gen3/gen4 in aluminum are quite expensive ($6-7k). The 7L aluminum gen 3 is crazy money and the aluminum gen 5s really haven't become available yet on the "used" market.
lol I didn't even have the luxury of searching for which generation they were, i just searched LS and the 3 complete engines that showed up in the search were all up around that price bracket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts