1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I've seen those tools before, but I still think that's old school way of doing it by removing the drain plug and leting it all drain is the best way of doing it. Let the gravity do the work :lol:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't really think there is a need for that. I drain the oil on my car without even jacking it up. Also even if you do take the filter out from the top you need to reach under the car to either put a drain pan under the filter or wipe the oil off the ground after it spills.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
yeah jack it and drain it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wouldnt use that.

I think the traditional method is better using the drain plug cuz it get EVERYTHING out plus all the dirt and stuff that is on the bottom of the oil pan.

Plus you have to get under your car anyway to remove the oil filter..

·
15,322 Posts
T i h o r said:
What kind of jacks are you guys using to jack up ur car?
Costco has an aluminum low profile jack for $99 now. I had their old model (all trade iirc) and it was awesome, till it started bleeding hydraulic fluid and I returned it (thanks Costco and your liberal return policy) and got the new brand model. Works well enough.

Sears has a craftsman aluminum low pro jack for 119-129 every so often, that's good as well since craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty.

Make sure you use jack stands as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one. They work - although I use mine to extract oil from garden tractors and riding mowers - which are sometimes difficult to deal with. Get it started, and the thing pulls the oil out with no extra effort. I don't know that this is as good as pulling a drain plug - but it does get virtually all of the oil out.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
All of you guys jack the car up to change the oil? Am I the only one who does it with the car on the ground? Maybe im the only one with an IS at stock height. :lol:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
BossMan said:
All of you guys jack the car up to change the oil? Am I the only one who does it with the car on the ground? Maybe im the only one with an IS at stock height. :lol:
I used to do that.... when I was at stock height.

·
Registered
270 Posts
$20-40 for a set of Rhino ramps from Walmart. $5 OEM filter from Toyota. $23 for Mobil 1 Supersyn from Costco (6qts). $25 for a fumoto valve. Once the fumoto valve is installed, It will take you all of 20 minutes to do oil change. Save money on not buying that pump and use it on other accessories for your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
gsrthomas said:
I wouldnt use that.

Plus you have to get under your car anyway to remove the oil filter..
i pull out the filter from the top...just use a plastic bag around to filter to keep the oil from spilling minimal.

and i rather drain it from the bottom, than pumpin it out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts