Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a fully built 7m-gte from a MKIII supra sitting in storage waiting for me to retreive and restore the chassis from Las Cruces for about 6 months now. I've really been looking forward to pushing forward on this project but someone recently asked why I don't just drop the 7m into my new IS300. It got me wondering. Has anyone tried this? I'm a bit intimidated by the little things like the IS's A/C compressor and alternator. I could use the MKIIIs but I'm sure the ISs are in better shape and more reliable.

Just wondering if anyone has done this or realized it's not feasible... That would also leave me with a 2jz-ge to turbocharge in the project car if I ever get around to it...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Why would you?? Since the 2jzgte short block bolts right up, can provide really good power with a turbo kit and hmm.. somewhat cheap?
I'd keep all my factory IS stuff, and not worry about the headache of putting a 10 year old motor in the IS. Might as well do a 2jzgte full swap if you're gona do any...
I dunno my .02 cents of whatever peace of mind I may have on a Pringles day.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
TeckniX said:
Why would you?? Since the 2jzgte short block bolts right up, can provide really good power with a turbo kit and hmm.. somewhat cheap?
I'd keep all my factory IS stuff, and not worry about the headache of putting a 10 year old motor in the IS. Might as well do a 2jzgte full swap if you're gona do any...
I dunno my .02 cents of whatever peace of mind I may have on a Pringles day.
Agreed.

However, if you have the fab skills and can put down a good 400+whp with that 7M, do it! You'd have a one of a kind car.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
JUST DO 2JZ-GTE
I PICK UP MY MOTOR YESTERDAY FOR THE SWAP :bigSmile: :bigSmile: :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
How many reliable 7m engine still around? How many 7m engine can make 1500whp? None. please stick with the 2jz and you will be happier.
JP Importz

·
Registered
1 Posts
uhh guys im new to the forum but....theres a guy with an is300 who did a 2jz-gte swap and he said that the gte motor does not fit at all in anyway and he had to make custom mounts for it...just throwin in my .02 ...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well if you want to be different, go for it! You would likely be the first, you would also likely be the last!

·
Registered
820 Posts
QuickOne03 said:
uhh guys im new to the forum but....theres a guy with an is300 who did a 2jz-gte swap and he said that the gte motor does not fit at all in anyway and he had to make custom mounts for it...just throwin in my .02 ...

he'll have to make the mounts for the 7m too. And it was said, only swap the shortblock, and keep everything else stock. But if he was going to do the swap, why not do it with the 2jzgte. There is fabbing to do anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To reply to everyone who said "Why use a 7m?" and "Is there a reliable 7m still around?" - it's because I already HAVE a fully built 7m (new top end, bigger FI cams, oversized valves, ported and polished head, forged pistons and rods, ARP hardware and MHG) so I don't have to buy a new one and it's already rebuilt and thus reliable as it has ever been (Moreso, one might argue)

That motor should be fine to hold upwards of 700hp and I definitely don't need even that much in my daily driver.

Again, to reiterate for people who would like to just rephrase the question, I wouldn't swap in a 2jz-gte because they're still expensive, I'd want to rebuild it to ensure reliability just because I'm anal about that sort of thing, and I would still have the 7m engine collecting dust. Not to mention that for the 500-600hp range, one is no more reliable than the other if done right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(And to those who gave actual constructive criticism I wasn't trying to be biting with my response, I do appreciate the input)

·
Registered
224 Posts
For those of you that are not familiar with the 7M engines. But doesn't much to blow the headgasket. Which is the reason why we have our 2jz for the past decades. People going forward not backward.
JP Importz

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
JPI said:
For those of you that are not familiar with the 7M engines. But doesn't much to blow the headgasket. Which is the reason why we have our 2jz for the past decades. People going forward not backward.
JP Importz
sounds like the mk3 and mk4 guys duking it out on SF

i don't claim to know much about the 7m - but having the motor right there is kinda nice - i still liek the 1jz swap myself - i think its pertty sweet

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JPI said:
JP Importz
Ah, yes, strike for the heart ;). From the factory the torque specs on the headgasket were insufficient. So yes, there were a good deal of blown headgaskets at around 50000 miles. People have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on the motors with no problem simply by torquing the head bolts down further on a stock head gasket. Being a bit more cautious than that with the extra power I already have a metal head gasket, as I mentioned, and ARP head studs. I'm sorry you don't like the motor.

All in all, yes, I can't dispute that the 2jz has proven to have a higher capacity for raw power, but I don't plan on going past the power potential of even the 7m (~800hp on the stock crank). No need to go undermining other peoples' opinion of a motor by talking only about its one primary (correctable) flaw.

somguy2u said:
sounds like the mk3 and mk4 guys duking it out on SF

i don't claim to know much about the 7m - but having the motor right there is kinda nice - i still liek the 1jz swap myself - i think its pertty sweet
Just sounds to me like JP Importz imports 2jz motors :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts