Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has put one of those clear hood kits on a car with a dark color. How is it? I'm tempted...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry for the question, but I have to ask.... What is an Xpel Hood Kit? Is it that clear vinyl stuff to protect from chips?

·
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by RLNPHAT:
Sorry for the question, but I have to ask.... What is an Xpel Hood Kit? Is it that clear vinyl stuff to protect from chips?

Yup.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Sheila,

You may want to pm MYISRULZ. I think he has something like that on his car which is also SBM. He's actually at the dealership today getting it replaced because it was peeling off I think.

Hopefully he'll see this thread tonight and respond.

If he does, HI TOM!

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: is300girl ]

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have the hood as well as the bumper kit on my SBM. When they see it, most people agree that it's hard to spot. It's really only noticeable at the edge, and even then, only if you're looking at it hard. A casual glance will probably not detect it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just had it installed about a month ago. Don't like the sound of hearing about it peeling off. Wonder how that happend to him?

·
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by SpectraBlueIS300:
Colour? Isn't Seattle about as far from the UK or Australia as you can get in the continental US???
I thought we'd agreed we wouldn't bash spelling "errors". (Oh, how I struggle to refrain!) I purposely used that spelling to get attention...and since I was born in England, I think I should be entitled to!

·
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Tony Montana:
Where do you get this installed?? How much? Do you think you would see it on a silver car?? Oh yeah and does it work well?
Try the web site at www.xpel.com. You can install yourself or use one of their appointed folks. I guess I should toddle off to Renton, WA to see the local guy and witness an installation. Should look fine on a light-colored vehicle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Montana:
Where do you get this installed?? How much? Do you think you would see it on a silver car?? Oh yeah and does it work well?
It's invisible on silver. The only way you'll notice it is if you're looking for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had mine put on. Somehow the pieces do not cover 100% over the entire part. Also there is no protection for the metal part between the wheel and front lights.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
ok HI everyone

let me tell ya my story of the EXPEL kit
-

IT SUCKS - i have had the car for 4 months - the stuff on the headlights got disgustingly fogged up - same with the fogs - it peeled off and bubbled on the headlights - and was peeling on the bumper as well - i went to the dealer to get it redone and the guy came and said that he didn't even want to bother because he knew it would happen again - so they took it off ( LOOKS a million times better now- i have SBM) and they refunded me my 500 bucks

i say stay away from it - they guarantee it for 10 years- it did not even last 4 months and the fact that they were not even willing to reinstall it tells u something - they can't back the product

·
Registered
341 Posts
Originally posted by LoQtus:
I had mine put on. Somehow the pieces do not cover 100% over the entire part. Also there is no protection for the metal part between the wheel and front lights.
My hood kit came with pieces that cover the area between the wheel and front lights. However, they didn't fit correctly. Luckily, the guy installing them does decals on cars for a living, and he custom cut some pieces for that area with 3M material he already had.

I'm disappointed to hear there's been some problems so early on for some. I've only had mine a month or so. I only put it on the hood, so I can't say anything about the lamp/fog/bumper kit. So far it still looks great, and I have to chuckle everytime I look at it, because sometimes it's so hard to see, I wonder if it came off. The peace of mind alone that there won't be any chips on the leading edge has been worth it. I can tailgate in peace
j/k

·
Registered
113 Posts
i put the hood kit and light kit on myself and had some initial fogging on the light kit but it disappeared after about a week. after hearing about the damage to hoods on this list i'm happy to report absoultely no hood damage after 9 months and 10,000 miles, mileage includes a 2,000+ mile road trip to seattle from LA.

·
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. Indecision is a perplexing thing...I guess if I do it at all I'll just do the hood.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The only problem I've had happened after a long road trip. After returning home, I washed it to remove all the bugs on the front. It seems some of the bugs left some sort of orange/red stain about the size of a pin head in about 5 spots on the xpel. You couldn't find them unless you were looking for them. Needless to say though, I was upset and wrote xpel to ask them about it.

They said they've heard of this happening, and that certain bug juice has been known to cause these stains. However, he assured me this would burn off or evaporate in a few hot days.

Sure enough, less than a week later they were gone. Have to wonder what that nasty juice would've done to a paint job over time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed mines myself a few weeks ago...so far so good, The hardest part to install was the piece on the mirrors. I wish the little fender piece was a bit larger so that it would cover more area....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
GMoney
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing