Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that on the..what should i call them..running boards..on the driver and passenger sides..under the doors..like the paint gets real bumpy..like a bad spray job. When I went to buy my car..i nitced this and thought it was only on my car and then i went over the an )2 ggp and it had the same thing..alot of it is concebtrated toward the wheel wells. i thought it was wierd.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Its called orange peel. It looks like the outside of an orange peel if you look real close. Im personally not a fan of it, but the dealers say they are all like that to resist rocks and other debris from chipping...

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I wonder why they did it that way. Expel and similar products are smooth and you can hardly notice them except at the edges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not orange peel. It's called Rock Gaurd and automakers have been using it for years. It is extremely tough, stays flexible and when you do get a mark in it you can't see it. Expel would work but would add too much to the cost of the car and is not as durable. Since this stuff is sprayed on it works well around sharp corners and body gaps, something Expel cannot do. And no potential moisture problems either.

If you have orange peel that looks like Rock Gaurd you have problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts