Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
IS300 has 3 cats. It's gonna pass CA Smog tests. I remember having a megan y pipe (no cat) and Fujita intake (not CA carb legal, as far as I know), and my car passed emissions. Guy at Jiffy Lube kinda hassled me for the intake, but I assured him it was carb legal.

·
Registered
481 Posts
if it was a outta state cat then how would it pass in california, if california only has california only cats?...almost sounds like a riddle
It's the same cat across the country, only difference is the "Cali-spec" part number.

This is just an example: lets say the 49-state part number is 99-74146.

"Cali-spec" part number would be C99-74146.

The "C" makes it "Cali-spec" and adds hundreds to the cost of an otherwise generic cat. I made up the part numbers, but I hope you get the general idea. This is how I understand it, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

·
Fokai 1008
2,472 Posts
It's the same cat across the country, only difference is the "Cali-spec" part number.

This is just an example: lets say the 49-state part number is 99-74146.

"Cali-spec" part number would be C99-74146.

The "C" makes it "Cali-spec" and adds hundreds to the cost of an otherwise generic cat. I made up the part numbers, but I hope you get the general idea. This is how I understand it, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
exactly my point ..might not have been as forward as i would have liked it to be.
its been ahwile since ive seen a is300 cat but do they even have part numbers on them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
well... regardless now... car is sold....... to me :)

Past Owner did the smog check yesterday, and it passed with flying colors, so tomorrow I will be registering it. Pics will come tomorrow, hopefully if i have the time

·
Fokai 1008
2,472 Posts
well... regardless now... car is sold....... to me :)

Past Owner did the smog check yesterday, and it passed with flying colors, so tomorrow I will be registering it. Pics will come tomorrow, hopefully if i have the time
Congrats , may it bring you happiness.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I dont recall the exact rules, but realize you may have to go to a lamp and brake inspection place. Check with your local community college. Alot of them do those certifications, as well as smog tests on the cheap as they are students being supervised by instructors. Good luck

·
Registered
960 Posts
I dont recall the exact rules, but realize you may have to go to a lamp and brake inspection place. Check with your local community college. Alot of them do those certifications, as well as smog tests on the cheap as they are students being supervised by instructors. Good luck
Don't think so. California ended their vehicle inspection program (other than for emissions) decades ago. Analysis showed that there was no reduction in accidents from these inspections and they just needlessly irritated motorists. Instead of an annual program like some states, in California the CHP would set up a surprise inspection location on a road where by the time you saw it there was no way to avoid it. Got waved into these on several occasions (yes, I've been driving since the 70s) and got equipment violations for completely stock vehicles. Usually though they would pester you with slightly mis-aimed head lamps, old wiper blades or some other annoying trivia. The only real value was found to be inspection of tires that helped reduce accident rates.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts