Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be looking to part it out. Since I'm on 18s I don't really think its necessary to keep considering I don't even have my stockies anymore. Its silver with a brand new tire.

Question for you guys on bigger wheels. Do you guys carry your stock spare in the trunk? Is there even a point to it since you won't be balanced if it does come down to throwing it on?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I keep mine so I can at least limp home. As for different sizing, I don't think it matters that much in an emergency situation. Keep in mind that some cars have compact spares, and even those manages to get home or to the garage. Another option would be to get one of those temporary tire repair in a tub solution. But I'm not an expert in those areas, so perhap (possibly Digger) can chime in.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was just thinking of carying around a can of tire filler. That should be sufficient. Unless its a complete tire blow. BTW if a tire were to blow isn't that what CAA is for? haha

I'm a CAA plus member, I wonder if they would provide flat beds? lol

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
if its a stock 17 inch silver wheel id be interested

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is a stock 17 wheel.

PM me your offer. If I still have it later I can just bring it along to OH2k8. lol

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm a CAA plus member, I wonder if they would provide flat beds? lol
They will, ive done it before. sometimes you may have to pay $25 extra, but i dont give a fuck, i tell them my car is lowered and i dont want it getting fucked up. so just tell them when you call them, and if they start saying they cant do it..start yelling! " why do i pay for this service if it doesnt apply to me!! and we are rwd so our nose would be face down. gettin mangled! :(

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Jahn, I heard recently (last month or so) that CAA doesn't provide flatbeds anymore due to the increase in requests for such. I suppose you can try yelling at the call centre rep as Crown mentions; however, I doubt that they can really override this if that's a part of their new policy. Just get a couple of flat bed numbers handy just in case.

I would suggest you keep your spare. I know you want to weight reduce, but I learned that putting back my spare was the best decision i've ever made ... needed it sooooo badly one day when that stupid deer popped out from nowhere in Detroit and I was 6 hours away from home in a foreign town with a mashed up 18" in the front and exposed tire. Best decision ever. A 17" spare is not too bad with the 18s ... as Johnny mentions ... great for emergency purposes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They'll still provide flatbeds, but it depends on availability, urgency and car type.

My personal experience

...if you are stalled on the inside shoulder of the 401 and a flatbed is the closest, they'll send it.

...if you have a certain type of car, like a VW Bug, they'll send a flatbed....there is something about these cars that the liklihood of damage while towing is increased, so if it is not an urgent situation, you'll wait for the flatbed.

I also needed a tow with my old '66 Fairlane. They'll only send a flatbed.

All this depends on whether is one on the road when they recieve the call.

But Lexi is right, there is no requesting I believe, CAA makes the decision what to send.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the bit of info. Appreciate it.

I guess for the time being I'll hold onto it. Unless someone with the right price comes along lol. I snapped pics too. Ah well. I guess in the end better to be safe than sorry right.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i still have my spare in the trunk. it's down to the wear bar, but it's still got some rubber. lol.

i've thought about taking it out before and leaving it at home. worst case scenario my buddies know the code to my garage and can grab it, if there was a situation.

for the long trips though id definitely take it with.

doesn't hurt to get a can of those fix a flat thingys.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Keep the spare , i have blown , bent , shredded warped and demolished tires and rims . Nothing can take the place of a back up full sized spare.
The outer diameter is the same as the new rims if they were sized right . So their is no difference and in an emergency would you rather wait an hour to get home , or swap a wheel and be on your way in 6 minutes were ever you were going.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently removed my 17" spare as well (CAA member).

I believe I was told that if you get a flat it is best to ensure that both your rear wheels are of the same size. Depending on the location of a possible flat 18" wheel, this may require you to transfer a wheel to the rear if you wish to use the 17" spare.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah thats true. I understand what you since having different size wheels for the drive wheels don't seem like a good idea. So CAA will not always provide a flatbed? So I'm not sure whether to keep mine or sell it.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I see people driving around with a compact spare quite often. The size differential between a compare spare and a normal wheel is much greater than the difference between 17/215/45 and 18/225/40. The idea is to let you limp home or to the garage with the car, and I would definitely drive slower and probably with the blinkers on. I have not research into this, but seems to me the road side tire repair tube thingy is only good for minor tire damage. If that is the case, the spare only offers you the benefit of not calling CAA for a flatbed if your tires were damaged so badly the road side repair tube thingy cannot repair your tire.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
the smaller rim diameter 17 to 18 is the same outside diameter meaning it takes the same rotation to go the same distance. The only time having a tire of a different size is a major issue is when you have it on the driving wheels as it can cause the diff fluid to heat up . Unless you are racing on a highway then even a compact spare is no problem. The big difference is a compact spare has a speed limit and reduced agility while a full size is the same as before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Found this thread when I was doing a search on spare tires.

I am going to 18" from 16" stock. I haven't take a look at my trunk but I am pretty sure my spare will be either 15" or 16", can I still use it when I get my 18"? Or should I go get a 17/18" spare tire? Will it be really bad for that car?

·
Maverick
1,511 Posts
Keep the spare. Like everyone said, you will only use it to "limp" home.
I also keep a can of the Tirejack liquid stuff, but that doesn't always work. In cold weather, it can sometimes freeze up. And it can get messy sometimes.
If you have any type of gash in your tire, than the Tirejack is worthless as well.
The spare is also extra weight on your drive tires, useful esp. in winter time for traction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts