Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been wanting to put ac converter in with the household plug and making the plug either on the side of the passenger side by the radio or under the armrest where the 12v socket is maybe make a cut out for it there and mold it in?anyone install one of these. its nice to have one if the kids wanna bring a ps2 or xbox on a long car trip and play on the monitors in the head rest....instead of bugging the shit out of me the whole ride.:)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i been wanting to put ac converter in with the household plug and making the plug either on the side of the passenger side by the radio or under the armrest where the 12v socket is maybe make a cut out for it there and mold it in?anyone install one of these. its nice to have one if the kids wanna bring a ps2 or xbox on a long car trip and play on the monitors in the head rest....instead of bugging the shit out of me the whole ride.:)
You could buy inverters for less than $50 bucks that connect to the 12v socket.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just bought a cheap car AC inverter from Fry's and cannibalized it to do almost exactly what you are describing. The inverter was a small box with a cigarette lighter plug coming out one side and the other side had two standard 120VAC plugs accompanied by a small on/off switch. I cut the cigarette lighter plug off and hardwired a 12v FUSED supply line direct from the battery. i simply unscrewed the faceplate with the plugs and switch, extended all the wires, and mounted it down near the back of the passenger foot area. the actual inverter and housing is hidden behind the glove compartment.

when i want to plug things in, i just reach down, plug it in, and flip the switch... there is even an LED light on the faceplate that glows indicating that the inverter is ON.

what i used:
400w 2 plug AC inverter w/ on/off switch and LED indicator
10ft of 8awg wire for 12v supply (dont go any lower than 12awg)
30amp fuse (350amp max for 8awg, amp max for 10awg, 20amp max for 12awg)
2ft of 8awg wire to ground the inverter
~10ft each of black and white 16awg wire to extend the 120VAC plugs to a remote location
~10ft each of red and white 20awg wire to extend the on/off switch to a remote location
a bag of zip ties to keep everything neat

mine comes in handy all the time, my buddies like to bring the xbox along on roadtrips and run it through my 7" pioneer, any wall charger in your house instantly becomes a car charger as well. i own my own video production business so we have even set up a small edit bay in my car with macbook pros and external hard drives... it is definitely worth the money. just make sure you get one with an on/off switch and remember to turn it off when your not using it. also remember to turn it off when the engine is off, unless its for a short period of time of course. even if you don't have a load on it the inverter will continue to draw power.

let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
636 Posts
in action??? haha...

this is the best pic i have right now, and my camera was stolen last month so it'l have to do for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts