Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the dealers around here(Boston area) won't give me one. I am 20. Please post your location, dealer name, and if they give you a loaner if your under 21. I would really appreciate it, thanks. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
what is the big deal about loaners? does it really take that long? why not drop it off at night and pick it up next day? or drop it off before work and pick it up after work. don't they have shuttle services? i think all dealers have them now

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GGP300 said:
what is the big deal about loaners? does it really take that long? why not drop it off at night and pick it up next day? or drop it off before work and pick it up after work. don't they have shuttle services? i think all dealers have them now
It is a big deal. I paid for this service when buying a lexus. I work about an hour and half from my dealership and it is not easy to find a ride to pick up your car and the damn dealer wont give me a ride to work.

·
8,880 Posts
jdm_altezza02 said:
their policy is 21 and up for loaner cars and 25 and up for rental car likes enterprise and hertz. 8)
It is also 21 for the rental cars. :shame:

·
Registered
533 Posts
AlBoston said:
GGP300 said:
It is a big deal. I paid for this service when buying a lexus. I work about an hour and half from my dealership and it is not easy to find a ride to pick up your car and the damn dealer wont give me a ride to work.
i guess it sux to be you then

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
GGP300 said:
AlBoston said:
GGP300 said:
i guess it sux to be you then
Better to be under 21 like him or me than to be a dick like you.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I always got a lexus loaner when I was underage.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
you gotta be over 21....cuz the first time i was there, they asked for my driver license to make sure i'm 21. or else no loaner.... :cry:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TK288 said:
you gotta be over 21....cuz the first time i was there, they asked for my driver license to make sure i'm 21. or else no loaner.... :cry:
I know, but my point is that it is complete BS that lexus markets a car to attract young buyers and then doesn't cater to them @ their service department. Hey VVTIS, what is the name of your dealer?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
vlad_a said:
No it's not for Hertz and the other big companies. For insurance replacement rentals yes 21 is the minimum age limit and 18 for Farmers insured or claimants. For retail leisure rentals...the minimum age limit is 25 here in California at least. Yes I work for the Hertz corporation. The largest rental car agency in the world. Enterprise? what's that...a space ship? LOL.

It's simple for rental policies. It's mainly legality and liability issues that restrict certain rentals to underaged or just of age drivers. It's not stupid, it's how the rules work. Explains why insurance rates for drivers younger than 25 are higher. If you were the dealer...would you want a kid driving around your loaner car?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
21 here! I think it's a little off. I don't really care, but ironically you can have the keys to a test car Lex for an hour and only be 18 if they think you may actually buy the car, but to borrow a loaner you have to be 21. I think it's BS . . . but hey, if I owned a multi-million dollar dealer ship with expensive cars I don't think I'd trust anyone even under 25.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
AlBoston said:
TK288 said:
I know, but my point is that it is complete BS that lexus markets a car to attract young buyers and then doesn't cater to them @ their service department. Hey VVTIS, what is the name of your dealer?
Lexus of Austin.

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,829 Posts
I go to Lexus of Kendall in Miami and they always ask me for my drivers license and proof of insurance before giving me a loaner. The guy told me that you had to be 21 or over to get a loaner there. :crazy: Anyway, I'm 31 so I've never had a problem. :wink:

Maybe different dealers have different policies. :-?

·
8,880 Posts
Flipside909 said:
vlad_a said:
No it's not for Hertz and the other big companies. For insurance replacement rentals yes 21 is the minimum age limit and 18 for Farmers insured or claimants. For retail leisure rentals...the minimum age limit is 25 here in California at least. Yes I work for the Hertz corporation. The largest rental car agency in the world. Enterprise? what's that...a space ship? LOL.

It's simple for rental policies. It's mainly legality and liability issues that restrict certain rentals to underaged or just of age drivers. It's not stupid, it's how the rules work. Explains why insurance rates for drivers younger than 25 are higher. If you were the dealer...would you want a kid driving around your loaner car?
If you have to be 25, then how in the world am I renting cars??? :-? :eek:
I've been renting cars since I was 21. They do charge $10 extra for ins purposes. But that is it! :shame:
You can be 18 and drive a rental with a permission of the person that rented the car. You may have to pay extra for insurance, but that's beside the point.

Let me explain the insurance rates to you.
The insurance companies have "preferred market". A company that will specialize in "high risk" drivers may offer some very competitive rates. I used to pay $750/year on my 2001 Lexus being 21.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
thats sorta ironic, because you are actually using your own insurance when you take a loaner. That paper you sign is recognizing that you and your insurance are responsible for damages.

I guess since your IS isnt insured under your name, they cant transfer insurance without someone else there?

·
8,880 Posts
HoustonLex said:
thats sorta ironic, because you are actually using your own insurance when you take a loaner. That paper you sign is recognizing that you and your insurance are responsible for damages.

I guess since your IS isnt insured under your name, they cant transfer insurance without someone else there?
Why would the IS not be insured under "your name?" That may not be very wise. :bitching:

·
13,978 Posts
vlad_a said:
Flipside909 said:
vlad_a said:

If you have to be 25, then how in the world am I renting cars??? :-? :eek:
I've been renting cars since I was 21. They do charge $10 extra for ins purposes. But that is it! :shame:
You can be 18 and drive a rental with a permission of the person that rented the car. You may have to pay extra for insurance, but that's beside the point.

Let me explain the insurance rates to you.
The insurance companies have "preferred market". A company that will specialize in "high risk" drivers may offer some very competitive rates. I used to pay $750/year on my 2001 Lexus being 21.
yes, you have to be 25 to rent cars. SOME companies will rent to ppl under 25 but like you said yourself, you will have to pay an additional fee everyday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts