Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a look at the IS250/350 (dealership didn't have cars for test drives until next week)...

-Better looking in person than some of the pictures. I liked the front end a lot. My wife thought the door sheet metal went too high into the widow area.

-The interior is, well, 'snug', compared to the BMW 325/330i

-Rear leg room is limited, even with the front seats adjusted for a 5'5" driver.

-My wife hit her head on the C-pillar getting out of the rear seat. Maybe it was instinct to lean forward but I didn't even notice the C-pillar while getting out. The rear of the 330i has more clearance around the C-pillar but the footwell 'threshold' is higher. I had to consciously lift my foot up to get out of the BMW.

-The trunk is smaller in the IS250, with the wheelwell intruding more into the truck space.

-Back-up camera for the Nav package...why? This is not a camper that I can't see out the back...I guess this 'one-ups' the park distance sensors on the BMW (just as pointless, IMO)

Can't help feeling a bit disappointed with the pricing and options for the IS350. $49k and no HID? Want to add Navigation? Just add the $10,800 package:pissed:. Being curious, I compared the options lists and the difference between the $5,650 Luxury package and the $10,800 Luxury+Nav package is the Nav and the upgraded stereo. $5,150 difference for Nav and stereo!?!? Prior to seeing the price list for the IS, I thought the BMW grouping of options were 'offbase'. Now they seem more than reasonable, in comparison.

The sales guy said there will be a lower cost option package later that removes the ventilated seats. Don't know the rest though.

My enthusiasm for the IS has been dampened a bit in the last couple of days...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
yes I agree,
I went to test drive yesterday at Scarborough Lexus... they didn't have any demo cars either, but they said that one of their very good clients actually let the dealership show it off to clients... so I actually stepped in to take a drive...

but seeing that it was a purchased car, I did not want to floor it... I didn't get a good test in general.. just to drive the car was interesting..

first impressions..
definately a tigher fit in the car, especially since I'm driving the family car right now (Oldsmobile Intrigue) which is massive... But I don't feel tight or anything... I'm 5'9", medium build or so... with my front seat set, I can sit in the back without my knee touching the back seat...

anyways, about the drive... as I mentioned before I didn't get to really test this car, but here goes my first impressions.

Soft leather and quality materials surround you when you first enter... even the steering wheel leather was soft... all the buttons and levers and knobs all feel like they should.. solid.. quality product...

As lexus's should be, the car idles amazingly quiet... I actually really like that... I'm not that old (just 24) but I can't really stand those loud ass riced cars out there... so I like things quiet...

taking the car out onto the road, I didn't push the throttle much, just a light tap here and there... didn't feel overwhelming power (lack of sporty feel?)... but then I'm probably used to driving a V6 anyways...

anyways... that's all I have for now... wish I could test it more in the corners ... or just let the engine open up when I'm alone in the car..

but I totally agree, the pricing just turns me off a bit... on the road with premimum leather seats + moonroof on the manual IS250 RWD I'm looking at 51K... that's alot of money for a car... no HID either...

lets hope that theres some better deals around april next year .. when I plan to buy ..

Terrence

·
Registered
198 Posts
It seems everyone around here wishes the IS would be a BMW beater. Everyone wants to compare it to a 3 series. If BMW made better quality cars, I don't think anyone would care about Lexus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
why care other people think???
I buy IS250AWD b/c I am studying at SFU ... you know little uphill and downhill helps you a lot when it's bad weather condition... like who said it "must" be is350?? or compared to Bimmer 3... non-sence talk... don't let people thoughts guide u ... Preference what you really need it all it matter :) if you agree give me a HELL YEAHHH!!!!~~~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts