Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whaz the deal “IS” community. . . at any rate I’ll just get to the point. My car has been in & out of servicing @ Scottsdale, AZ Lexus for the past month trying to figure out how to fix one of the weirdest creaks / rattles that I’ve heard thus far in my car.

It originally started out as just subtle noise coming from the right rear suspension area of the car, and initially I considered the noise minimal. . . like that of misc road noise etc. Well, after progressively getting louder and louder, I attributed it to perhaps my HKS CarbonTi or perhaps my XERD Gen 1 Ceramic Coated Y-Pipe. After attempting numerous combinations to figure out if the noise was related to aftermarket equipment, I deducted that the problem was not related to either part because my car duplicates the noise with stock parts as well.

So, when does the noise occur you ask?? Well, at any time the car is in motion, and it seems to get louder with speed. My dealer automatically looked @ my aftermarket parts and said immediately that they were the guilty culprit. After they tried it their way, and still yet the noise is evidently present, they have replaced just about every part in the rear suspension of my car to no avail.

So, I’ve searched & searched on the IS300.NET forum reading just about every forum which was even remotely related to my problem, but I couldn’t get any feedback nor sound clips. . . so I’ve attached a clip of what my car sounds like when I drive it every day, and frankly I’d really rather not drive my car. I do realize that it is a car and things happen from time to time (misc maintenance etc), but after 1 month my car has been like this. After every appointment that I’ve had this past month, I was still somewhat optimistic that they could fix the noise, but now I’m just fed up. . . I hope some of you can offer some suggestions, I’ve tried lubing brackets, bolts, and I’ve lucked up for about a couple of hours, but then it immediately comes back!!!!!

The dealership wants me to make another appointment for Monday morning, and they think it’s attributed to “Serrated Knuckle” joints which are apart of the rear control arm. . . I think I got that right, but to be honest I can’t be too sure. . . So, I excuse the amount of text, but I really hope someone out there has @ least heard this noise before and can perhaps offer a potential course of action that neither I nor the dealer has already tried.

Vids Are DiVX Encoded 5.0.3 (1 Mirror Link Included)

Driving Outside In A Back Alley
http://neomurph.homestead.com/files/D-Outside.avi

Driving Home Last Night After Clubbing
http://neomurph.homestead.com/files/D-Home.avi
http://members.cox.net/rmurphy128/Noise/D-Home.avi

Car Parked & Me Pushing Down on the top Right Rear of my Trunk
http://neomurph.homestead.com/files/Parked.avi
http://members.cox.net/rmurphy128/Noise/Parked.avi

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Daily Bandwidth Limit Reached

Here's how I found the rattle in my front suspension.

Jacked up the front end of the car, pt it on jack stands and removed the wheel on the side where the noise was.

Then I put a floor jack under the lower control arm and raised and lowered the jack until I heard the noise. This was, in effect, simulating suspension movement as in driving. That allowed me to hear the noise up close and get a general location.

Then I disconnected the sway bar from the control arm and jacked up the control arm again. No noise.

Then I put a block on the jack and jacked up the end of the sway bar with it still detatched. I got the noise.

Since I had already greased the sway bar bushings and since the noise was coming from up higher on the car, I looked further.

What I found was that the two bolts that hold the bracket that holds the bushing were loose. I tightenend those two bolts.

Again I jacked up the sway bar eand and NO NOISE.

Put it all back together and drove and the noise was totally gone.

Prior to this I had been to the dealer and they said they tightened up all the front suspension parts. Evidently they didn't check those two bolts on the bracket.

What happened here was that I made a "shade tree" simulation of how the supension moves while driving. I was able to duplicate the noise. Then by separating some parts, I was able to find the source of the noise and correct the problem.

I serously doubt that someone at the dealership would go to those lengths and methods to find a problem. They might get lucky, but most times they just seem to replace parts on a trial and error baisis.

So, I would suggest that you might jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands, then try moving the suspension up and down by force, to find the exact location of what is making your noise.

Hope that helps. I sure feel better about my car since it's now doing like it should, and have some satisfaction that I fixed it myself.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
holy shit that gets annoying...i hope u fix that problem really soon...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bartkat,
thanks for the feedback, I'll attempt your course of action / advice probably tomorrow morning when I get back from Starbucks :crazy: Should be fun, and hopefully I can simulate the noise based upon my findings under the car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LexIS307,
My dealership actually replaced both springs & struts for me already, so brand new parts in that department & yet still the noise remains. :eek:

LX4U2NV,
I guess I'd better take a look @ your thread. . . let's see what we see?!?
Well, I guess based upon your explanation, I would say that mine is definitely similar. It's just annoying because even though you can mask the sound away with music levels etc., you are left with the constant reminder that the noise is still there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am definitely reminded of that noise occurring. When its nice out, like right now, I always drive with the windows down and that noise is annoying as hell. I hope we can both find resolutions to our problems.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LX4U2NV,
I hear ya there, I mostly drive with my windows down & moon roof open, it is just unfortunate because I don't do it anymore because that noise is readily apparent. I was supposed to take my car in this Monday morning, but of course parts had yet to come in yet. . .

This next go round, I'm going to leave my car with them until it is fixed. I'm also going to perhpas look into Arizona Lemon Law to see what it feasible.

I stopped into the dealership this morning, and there was an 01' IS300 there is 80K miles, not one creak or rattle. . . interesting indeed. . .

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
that is annoying as fuck!

anyways, it has to be part of the suspension/handling based on what you described you are doing

i would bet it was a bushing, as it did not sound like metal on metal

since the dealer put new struts and springs in it, it probably is not that, or anything related to removing that, which leaves us at the control arms/rear sway, things like that

i would put the car up on a drive on ramps (be careful of course) for all four wheels, so it is level, and have someone rock on it (again be careful) while you listed

let us know, i applaud the sound clips

-gte

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IS300GTE,
"annoying as F*ck!," is an understatement. I'm very much so considerate when it comes to things in general, we drive cars, and I realize that parts break, things creak, noises occur, but now my noise is a bit divergent.

perhaps I will try & put the car up on ramps to see if I can duplicate the sound. . .

DickTracy,
hopefully 2:1 says that it really is the sway bar bushing or the bracket becuase I'm really not feeling like driving my car these days. it is very much so difficult to "PIMP IT" when your car makes noises of this matter.

other than this, my family has had 6 lexus vehicles and my IS300 is the only one which has annoyed us (pretty good if I do say so myself). I'm confident that either the dealer or myself can find a way to alleviate the problem. . . I just hope it's more sooner than later :pissed:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
IS300GTE said:
i would put the car up on a drive on ramps (be careful of course) for all four wheels, so it is level, and have someone rock on it (again be careful) while you listed
i was just gonna suggest that~
of course you could just get under the car without jacking it up since its the rear, im sure it could be done.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bartkat,
well, actually, I took the car up to my neighbors garage for a lil' work, and we able to duplicate the noise utilizing the Right Rear Bushing for my anti-roll (sway bar), but while fishing around, we were able to find the new noise that I related to a "Bird Chirping." I think you can hear it in one of the clips that I posted, but I'm not sure which one.

I took my car in this morning to let them hear my sound clips + hopefully fix my car utilizing the misc. parts that finally came in this morning. . . we'll see what happens. I did however forget to mention the whole control arm/rear sway issue, but that is where these misc. parts are supposed to be replaced.

To be honest I didn't really pay close attention because I've been so fed up with my car, but I remember something about "knuckle joint," something to that extent. . . once I pick up my car tomorrow, I'll reply back to let ya'll know what parts exactly were replaced.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*Update* 8/8/2003 - 800x600 Pics

Well, I thought I’d update everyone since I picked up my car yesterday afternoon. After driving for 60+ miles, I’m happy to say that my initial noise which can be heard in the video clip (Parked) is now gone completely. I’ve attached pictures of the part in question + it’s mainly a serrated hiem bearing/joint. Once this part was replaced, bam, my noise was gone.

Here are the pics, I'll resize them later. . .

However, one still remains. I cannot describe the second noise but to only attribute it to the sound of grasshoppers chirping.

Of course the tech that normally works on my car @ the dealership was happy to hear that the initial sound was gone, but now we are fishing for the second one. The noise is readily apparent in my video clip (D-Home). For about the first 3 seconds you can hear the noise in question, then in befitting fashion you hear a grasshopper for about 2-3 seconds, then the noise is present for the rest of the 15 seconds.

So anyone know or possibly understand what this one could be attributed to?? Again, I truly thank you all for your feedback, this is what an Internet based forums should be about!!!! The wealth of knowledge that we can share with one another to perhaps arrive at fixes for our investments is truly a marvel to witness. Perhaps one day we can stop all the bickering and just enjoy the fact that we are enthusiasts and some of us have divergent means of getting our cars to the point of what we consider as individuals to be “Slammin.” :crazy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts