Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've gotta 01 and noticed that there's a lotta rust on the area where the rim mounts to the axle- just on front of the rotor...it's on all 4 wheels- anyone else have this prob? and how do i get rid of it? can i have it painted over?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Yeah, I have rust in my rotor area. I also have this burning sensation every time I stretch my... Oh wait, nevermind.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
mines an 03 and it's starting to rust already so i'm thinking about taking it to the dealer and let them paint them for free. colors I can choose from is black or silver.

-ringo

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
i went to the dealer two days ago and most of the brand new ISs on the lot had rust on the rotor.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Astr0LuX said:
i went to the dealer two days ago and most of the brand new ISs on the lot had rust on the rotor.
It's because the rotors aren't coated. 3 options, leave all rusty, replace with aftermarket rotors (that are coated), or paint them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I toook my 2k2 in for service, I pointed out the rust, they took car of it, and said they will do it everytime I bring in my car if I would like.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What part of the rotor??

I have read posts upon posts about this, and I guess what I am confused about is what part of the rotor that everyone seems to be refering to? Are you talking about the actual surface that the back of your wheel meets up with the hub on? Or the slits that surround the outside edge of the rotor, or what??? If someone has pics, or could clarify this for me, it would be much appreciated. And, if I have the same crap on my car, I am gettin my arse up to the dealership to get them painted right away.

L8r

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thank god I replace my rear rotors with pro slot rotors and had them powder coated before putting them on so it won't rust. But if you want to get rid of that rust just sand it down good and also spray a couple of layers of paint over it so the rust won't start again.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Re: What part of the rotor??

IS4U2NV said:
I have read posts upon posts about this, and I guess what I am confused about is what part of the rotor that everyone seems to be refering to? Are you talking about the actual surface that the back of your wheel meets up with the hub on? Or the slits that surround the outside edge of the rotor, or what??? If someone has pics, or could clarify this for me, it would be much appreciated. And, if I have the same crap on my car, I am gettin my arse up to the dealership to get them painted right away.

L8r

it's the hub itself of course. can't really get a rusty rotor surface since you're braking all the time, ya kno..

·
Registered
32 Posts
you can have the dealer paint the rotors but keep in mind the paint is not permanent and it will come off with time.
IMO its better to just upgrade........
more quality and doesn't look cheap.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You are correct. I painted mine about a year ago, and now they are rusty again. One reason is some of the paint has chipped off between me switching from winter to summer rims, and then during tire rotation. The other reason is that right at the edge where the paint meets the actual rotor, it begins to rust. then the rust works its way under the paint, and the paint flakes off.

Its no biggie though. It only takes a few mins to redo it. What are the replacement rotors plated with, cadium?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts