Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonding if anyone have the same problem I'm having. Ok, when I turn on the A/C while driving it works fine , donest stink or any anything. But when I turn it off with the fun still on after a few minute it start to give a foul smell. Is any one experience this?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes. I've turned it on sometimes and for the first few minutes once, it stunk bad, like a moldy smell. Maybe something crawled in a vent and died. Hasn't happened since though.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
what's it smell like?

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by SilverLex:
Yes. I've turned it on sometimes and for the first few minutes once, it stunk bad, like a moldy smell. Maybe something crawled in a vent and died. Hasn't happened since though.
A lot of times H2O condenses from the humid air in the ducts of your A/C... when the A/C is off for a while, you can get mildew/mold growth if water collects in the ducts. A good remedy would be to run your vents & A/C often to clear out any water collection, even in the winter, if jsut for 1 minute.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda hard to describe the smell but trust me it stinks. Seem like it doesnt happen as offen then before.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Smells like old sneakers that have been worn without socks in 90 degree weather. Pretty foul.
Some say it's from the moisture left in the vent after the A/C has been running. It seems like a common problem. I've got an un-opened air freshener ready if it gets real bad, but I don't wanna lose the new car smell yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My allergist told me when I get in the car to roll down all the windows and turn the air on high for 30 seconds. Suppose to get the old stale air out. Might not fix your problem, but if your recylcling the air, it might help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Had a similar problem in our '93 ES300. A Lexus tech said to do this: put the fan on high (A/C off), spray Lysol into the exterior air-intakes. The intakes are at the base of the windshield just under the wipers. The Lysol will kill whatever mildew has found a home in your IS300's ducts.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
We all perspire, whether a little or alot. The A/C (especially in recirculation mode) sucks the 'contaminated air' back into the system, bringing along your sweat, which then gets acccumulated inside the coils and ducts, and that's where bacteria starts to grow in the moist and warm environment, and hence the foul smell.

To get rid of the smell, do NOT turn the A/C on, just the fan. After a long while, the smell will be gone. There's no permanent solution other than dismantling the A/C system and thoroughly clean it.

My 2 cents

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: dude ]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Leader, i had the same problem too like everyone else here. When i took the car for 5k sevice, my service guy did the same method as you had described, but it only works for a while, and after that the smell comes back. Do you often do that to your car until the smell goes away permanently???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everybody.. long-time reader, first-time poster.. I had the same problem with the A/C in my 2000 Integra. I asked the service manager at Acura about it, and he said something about leaves and stuff accumulating and needing to be blown out. In any case, that took care of it, and the A/C smells nice and clean again.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
I have the same problem almost every time I turn the AC on. Kind of smells like a rhino's a$$. Not that I would know of course. It is pretty bad. Goes away after a few mins...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by LexArkana:
I have the same problem almost every time I turn the AC on. Kind of smells like a rhino's a$$. Not that I would know of course.
That's not what the pictures I saw on the i-net say....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Depending on how bad the problem is, one spray of Lysol might do the trick. While we no longer have our '93 ES300, I recall doing the Lysol trick twice over the period of a month or so, which solved the problem.
I'd bet climate has an effect on this problem. It's very dry here in Los Angeles, which probably hinders the mildew growth in the A/C ducts.
Incidently, I've not had this problem with my IS (8 months/8000 miles), but I DO run the auto A/C all the time...for what that's worth.

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
Originally posted by LexArkana:
[qb]I have the same problem almost every time I turn the AC on. Kind of smells like a rhino's a$$. Not that I would know of course.
That's not what the pictures I saw on the i-net say....

[/QB]
I have no idea what you are talking about?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by Leader:
Had a similar problem in our '93 ES300. A Lexus tech said to do this: put the fan on high (A/C off), spray Lysol into the exterior air-intakes. The intakes are at the base of the windshield just under the wipers. The Lysol will kill whatever mildew has found a home in your IS300's ducts.
I agree with this. I've done it, and it cleans out the a/c pretty well. But be sure to lower all the windows before you spray the
fungicide in the air intake vent.

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: rseifer ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bet most of you leave you A/C on and don't turn it off until the minute you take the keys out. Right??

The trick is to turn off the A/C a minute or two before you reach your destination. That way, it will give a chance for the A/C system to blow out all the condensed moisture in the system.

Also, I've heard fabreeze (sp?) works pretty well in place of Lysol. Good 777.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Originally posted by Chingker:
I bet most of you leave you A/C on and don't turn it off until the minute you take the keys out. Right??

The trick is to turn off the A/C a minute or two before you reach your destination. That way, it will give a chance for the A/C system to blow out all the condensed moisture in the system.
I've got the same issue and I always turn off the AC well before I reach my destination (I'm pretty stingy with the AC--gas mileage is pretty important nowadays
). My friend's BMW has the same issues (and he purchased his car new near the end of last year).

I'm wondering if something is being added to the cooling system in newer vehicles that is causing an unpleasant "aftersmell"

It does smell like a stinky wet gym shoe or old wet metal/plastic pipes. Shouldn't happen when the car is completely new and garaged for most of the time (though I do understand the moisture/mildew theory).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts