Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plenty of racing stories, but not with my IS. Just racing between Hondas. But i'm interested to hear other peoples stories (IS, CL-S, E55, and any other car).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I raced a friend of mine in an 2000 Infinity I30 the other day. Just saw "Meet the Parents" and there is a funny scene with Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro racing from light to light, so we both leave the movie theater, He was in his car with his wife, and I was in my IS with my wife, and we get to a light with no one in front of us... At the first light he got the jump on me an was ahead by a nose up to 30-40 and then I was pulling even to him, when we hit another light and had to stop. This time I took off the TRAC and gave it a little brake tourqe to get off better and had the jump on him off the line. I was started out about 1/2 car length ahead of him and finished (around 60-70mph) 1 car lenght ahead. I would have liked to continue, but with the wives in the car and on a main street, that was enough trouble for me. It was a lot of fun, and the cars were very closely matched.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
some guy in a ford exploder v8 tried to race my cl-s, but i didn't bite.

good story huh? i can email that to u guys if you want to print and frame it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One time at band camp... Just kidding. I did race a 540i 6-speed once on the freeway and beat it. But who'd want to hear about that?

Rick Kim

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by Mcoupe:
One time at band camp... Just kidding. I did race a 540i 6-speed once on the freeway and beat it. But who'd want to hear about that?

Rick Kim
What type of car were you driving? How did you know it was a 6 speed?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a racing story with a CL-S.

Last saturday on my way to Knott's Scary Farm, there was a black CL-S driving behind me. He was tailgating me for awhile since I wasn't driving fast enough for him I guess (around 85mph). He then switched to other lanes trying to get in front of me. There were 3 passengers in my car so I didn't even bother to follow him. However, that guy was driving like a maniac. Switching lanes back and forth trying to avoid the traffic; it was a teenager driving it. So I was thinking, um...if this guy really wants it, I'll give it to him. I pressed on the gas (didn't even floor it) and went up to 100mph. I dusted that CL-S, leaving him behind in the traffic.

Oh, before you CL-S owners jumped on me and yelled at me, I was driving in the carpool lane.
So I guess it was an unfair match. But he was driving so dangerously.......

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well with an mcoupe, it would still be a pretty close race was it not? i mean he does have that awesome 4.4 liter v8 under taht hood =)

and about the black cl-s comment: i was driving my little brother home today in the previa when this f*ing prick in a camry serves into my lane leaving me NO ROOM to move. i barely braked in time and as i proceeded to drive this little punk swerves in and out of lanes dangerously. no turn signals, no nothing. people like that really shouldn't be on the road.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Originally posted by Tycoon:
I have a racing story with a CL-S.

Last saturday on my way to Knott's Scary Farm, there was a black CL-S driving behind me. He was tailgating me for awhile since I wasn't driving fast enough for him I guess (around 85mph). He then switched to other lanes trying to get in front of me. There were 3 passengers in my car so I didn't even bother to follow him. However, that guy was driving like a maniac. Switching lanes back and forth trying to avoid the traffic; it was a teenager driving it. So I was thinking, um...if this guy really wants it, I'll give it to him. I pressed on the gas (didn't even floor it) and went up to 100mph. I dusted that CL-S, leaving him behind in the traffic.

Oh, before you CL-S owners jumped on me and yelled at me, I was driving in the carpool lane.
So I guess it was an unfair match. But he was driving so dangerously.......

VERY VERY NICE!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was in my M Coupe. Stock no performance mods. It wasn't that hard to find out that he had a 6-speed, I was in the lane to the right of him and slightly behind. I could see him move his arm and when I passed him I could see him move his arm to change gears again. It was a very close race. I started to gain on him at the start of the triple digits and just before I was near my max velocity I completely passed him (ie, my rear bumper was ahead of his front) then I shut down once I hit my max speed since he has a higher top speed. 137 vs 155. He knew it too and when we both slowed a bit he pulled up and next to me again and we both gave each other a thumbs up.

Okay now flame away!

Rick Kim

Originally posted by croddy:
What type of car were you driving? How did you know it was a 6 speed?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
truthfully i thought you would've had him on the low end and then he would've caught up due to his massive displacement. then again the two cars have such equal power/speed that it most definitely depends on the driver. both are great cars, i like the 540 more because its a bit more practical but the m coupe is an excellent track car. good kill =)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, mine isn't the best but....this red ferarri pulled up along side me on the 405 the other day and gave me "the look". Off we went. He could have easily kicked my ass, but he let me keep up within a car length.I got up to around 120 before I lost sight of him (he got on another freeeway)

-anndi

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
but the m coupe is an excellent track car.
I haven't had a chance to gloat much, so here goes: I beat my brother (in his M Coupe) at Autocross this past weekend in my IS300... Woohoo!

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cool! I love autocrossing. I plan to autocross my car next season (keeping it stock except maybe shocks).

Good for you! I never frown up on people who autocross. I wish more people would do it, cause you learn so much about yourself and your car.

Rick Kim

Originally posted by webmaster:
I haven't had a chance to gloat much, so here goes: I beat my brother (in his M Coupe) at Autocross this past weekend in my IS300... Woohoo!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Commuting home on the 210 westbound in the 2nd lane, a black C280 w/large chrome rims swerves around and cuts close to me in the kind of way that made the driver's opinion rather obvious. I was doing 85, he was doing who-knows-what, and he was quickly more than 10 car lengths ahead. I figured "what the hell, the car's broken in
" I didn't slap to M or hit Power, but just pressed on a little harder; my intent was simply to follow and and watch. The kid took the bait and floored it. But I just sorta of closed in without trying very hard, and I suddenly realized we were at the C280's electronically-limited top speed of 130. Traffic approached and I coasted back down to a responsible speed. He braked hard and cut/thrust some more, perhaps thinking that he had just dusted an IS.

BTW, the IS is ridiculously quiet at triple digits. Toyota did a terrific job of aerodynamics, esp. under the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts