Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not looking to gain / lose power just mabey affect the sound a bit ...

i have seen much smaller resonators & much larger ones ? can anyone who really understands exhausts properly explain the affect these have if it is not all just on the exh. volume or can it affect the exh note or tone as well...??

I know the size of the stock one is much bigger than say the DTMotor werks & the Tanabe, also most others i have seen.... and it is quieter..... but it also has a great tone i think withthe Hiper for example & many others... & i wonder how a bigger resonator might affect the tone or if it will mainly reduce volume,..... or...... are their diff types of resonators that have different effects on the tone/ volume etc. etc.

i'm thinking of trying a custom resonator & the idea is to go bigger i think & see if that can make a difference in the sound of the exhaust....

thanks

ed

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
size is one factor, but the other would be the design/configuration on the inside (eg., shape, size, orientation, etc) baffles...
i remember comparing the stock b-pipe to the tanabe b-pipe - totally different on the inside.
suggest you talk to a good custom muffler shop to see what they might have to say.....

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thass what i'm thinkin botox... i mean bojax :lol:

size is one factor, but the other would be the design/configuration on the inside (eg., shape, size, orientation, etc) baffles...
i remember comparing the stock b-pipe to the tanabe b-pipe - totally different on the inside.
exactly my point tony, they are totally different internally.... i was hoping some guys with some of this knowledge might pop in here.....

:wink:

hope they still do..................... i will look into the exh. shops next...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Find a resonator off a V8 car with a single exhaust.
If the diameter is bigget also remember that you have the body brace under the stock resonator with about 1/2" clearance.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yo uthink we are on the right track about it's effect on the exh sound...?

& i figger if they are making me one they can just move it a bit forward & give me some more clearance for the chassis brace....

thanks

edg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There is very little sound differences cuz of the contruction and weather they use fiberglass or steel wool for sound dampening.
Im thinking the bigger diameter and longer length of the resonator you get more of a muffled sound but you still have the exhaust flow.

Im getting ready to do exhaust mods so this stuff interests me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts