Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install a set of TEIN CS suspension kit (both TEIN lowering springs & shocks).

Can anyone provide their comment for my consideration please? I prefer performance handling yet comfort ride without lossing the ride quality.

I currently had TRD Yellow sway installed (major improvement in high speed turns).

Can anyone let me know how much better will I notice the performance after changing the suspension on top of the TRD Yellow sway? Is it worth it besides making it looks better after lowering? Will the body roll further improved?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
CS is a coilover setup, not springs/shocks combo. they are supposed to be the most comfortable, hence the name. the springs included are the softest spring rates made by tein.

lowering will slightly improve reduction of body roll. it does not do much besides making the car look better, in terms of normal driving conditions. i'm sure on the track it makes a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have TEIN CS coilovers on my 02 Blk IS300. They are great. I was able to lower my car and keep very good ride! On the manual, I believe it says to set your damping to 6 clicks counterclockwise. I have them on 4 clicks and I have a very comfortable ride. If others have the same coilovers, let me know what your ride settings are!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all your valuable comments.

The main concern to me is that how much improvement will I get by lowering the car by little bit only since I prefer not to have it too close to the ground when I need to go up and down the very steep ramps!! I don't want the bottom all scartch up after lowering too much.

Do you mean the shocks have different settings for stiffer or softer ride?

Since this investment is talking about over $1,000 and is it worth while to do so? The appearance isn't too much of my concern but performance is. However, I don't want to lose the comfortable ride by changing to stiffer shocks!

Hard decision!!! My help from others please!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
irv_usc said:
CS is a coilover setup, not springs/shocks combo. they are supposed to be the most comfortable, hence the name. the springs included are the softest spring rates made by tein.

lowering will slightly improve reduction of body roll. it does not do much besides making the car look better, in terms of normal driving conditions. i'm sure on the track it makes a difference.
What is the different between coilover setup and springs/shocks combo? Like your lecture please?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
is300hk said:
irv_usc said:

What is the different between coilover setup and springs/shocks combo? Like your lecture please?
i liked the useful info also.....

spring shock is non-height adjustable.....the height the spring was made is the the height your stuck with (good for novice users, or someone who doesn't need to raise/lower the car)

coilovers....are height adjustable...meaning you can raise or lower the car within some range....(ex. 1''-3.5'' drop)...good for people who want to raise and lower car for shows,weather

everytime you raise and lower the car you will need to re-allign it...so it makes coilovers more "demanding" and they usually cost more...

springs/shocks cannot be height adjusted....but think before you buy..will you actually raise and lower the car?.....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
is300hk said:
Do you mean the shocks have different settings for stiffer or softer ride?

Since this investment is talking about over $1,000 and is it worth while to do so? The appearance isn't too much of my concern but performance is. However, I don't want to lose the comfortable ride by changing to stiffer shocks!

Hard decision!!! My help from others please!!!
you could get springs with adjustable shocks (about a 600-700investment) and be able to adjust the dampening ("the shocks have different settings for stiffer or softer ride?")

you can adjust the dampening on most coilovers...but those will run you around 1000+, and i don't think you want a extreme drop...something modest

iin your situation....i would definitely recommend springs/adjustable shocks....and maybe go with a 1.0-1.5inch drop with some good springs (TANABE, tein, eibach, l-tuned, h&r.....)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the comments.

The chances I need to set the height again is minimal after the setting is done.

What brand name of shocks have adjustable settings? I also want the shocks last since I heard that some shocks are not quality product such as GAB, etc. Not sure if KONI has adjustable damping for our model?

I like eibach springs as I had used on my previous Honda Del Sol with 1" drop. They works well!!

Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
koni makes adjustable shocks (koni yellows)

tokico makes adjustable shocks (tokico illuminas)

i dunno about GAB.....haven't seen them...

KYB does not...................yet.

eibachs are a good choice....:)

i'm talking about the IS300, i guess you could find shocks for the altezza that work...but with all this "JDM this, JDM that"craze..you might be paying for more then you get....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.