Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got an Apexi N1 from a fellow board member. Wasn't gonna install it because i was really digging the Tanabes. But anyways, got the mod itch and installed it last friday. And the exhaust tip is like stuck to the bumper, there's no gap at all. I drove the thing home 2 miles away and there was some rubber burning smell. So I am wondering if there's a different model for the Sportx than the regular IS. I am gonna go to the muffler shop monday to try to get a longer donut or extend the hanger hinges. Anyone with the same issues and/or with other exhaust systems feel free to chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I thought that exhausts were the same from SX to sedan?

I had an apexi N1 on my supra LOVED the sound, best one IMO

Maybe it got bent in shipping? From a totalled car?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that exhausts were the same from SX to sedan?

I had an apexi N1 on my supra LOVED the sound, best one IMO

Maybe it got bent in shipping? From a totalled car?
Well no, the exhaust is pretty much new. Everthing looks good except the tip.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My exhaust tip is 3.5" or 4" and is VERY close to if not touching my bumper, no melting/burning problems though. That far down the exhaust it should get *super* hot like around the cats...

If its "pretty" much new alot of times manufacturers put some sort of anti-rust crap on anything that could rust sitting in a warehouse... maybe it was jsut burning off? Give it a few days to finish cooking off? Keep an eye on the bumper. How would you have smelled your bumper burning anyhow being so far behind the car? while it was parked?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
The exhaust as the same as the sedan, you might need to bend the hangers some as the aftermarket MFGs don't always get it spot on. The sedan guys have to do it too.

I know all the Greedy EVO2 come out crooked, unless you bend the hangers or zip tie them.

My L-Tuned (made for a sedan or course) is dead center and sticks out just as much as the stock tip, no more and no less.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My exhaust tip is 3.5" or 4" and is VERY close to if not touching my bumper, no melting/burning problems though. That far down the exhaust it should get *super* hot like around the cats...

If its "pretty" much new alot of times manufacturers put some sort of anti-rust crap on anything that could rust sitting in a warehouse... maybe it was jsut burning off? Give it a few days to finish cooking off? Keep an eye on the bumper. How would you have smelled your bumper burning anyhow being so far behind the car? while it was parked?
I smell it when i got home and went to the back to look at the bumper, you are probably right about it being new and it could be the exhaust breaking in.

The exhaust as the same as the sedan, you might need to bend the hangers some as the aftermarket MFGs don't always get it spot on. The sedan guys have to do it too.

I know all the Greedy EVO2 come out crooked, unless you bend the hangers or zip tie them.

My L-Tuned (made for a sedan or course) is dead center and sticks out just as much as the stock tip, no more and no less.
That's what I plan to do, maybe bending the hangers a bit. I think it'll look alright. I'll take some pics tomorrow before and after. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am so piss... the damn silencer flew out... i put it on this morning and i push the silencer too hard and it went in too deep, so i figure if i drove to the office 5 mins away the pressure would push it back out slowly and it would be fine and i can put the screw on. Well, i was passing a 16 wheeler on the way to work and gunned it. I didn't know till i got to work that i lost my silencer. Went back to look for my silencer and it turn into an olympic torch...

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
wow, tough luck bro! How unbearable is it without the silencer? Sometimes I wish mine had one... esp at 3k rpm :(

-Brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts