Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law who is a mechanic recently drove my car said my clutch is shot. It does grab kinda high, but I don't think its slipping yet. Has anyone had to replace their clutch on their IS250? If so, how much did it cost ya?

·
Registered
459 Posts
My brother in law who is a mechanic recently drove my car said my clutch is shot. It does grab kinda high, but I don't think its slipping yet. Has anyone had to replace their clutch on their IS250? If so, how much did it cost ya?
If possible, I would look to have it adjusted instead of replaced. It would be hard to believe that the clutch could be shot so soon but perhaps it's your sytle of driving.

Find another IS manual and do a test drive for comparison.

Regards,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look around the forum, or anywhere, the stock clutch/flywheel setup is not well liked by anyone who owns the car. I've replaced my whole setup and I had 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well took my car to the dealer... They confirmed the clutch is shot and needs to be replaced. Said its going to cost me $1225.

I got annoyed with the dealer because I've had the car to the dealership twice within the last month and a half. The first time they did a big recall maintenance on the motor (something about the motor springs) and at that time after a week of being at the dealership, they took the car out for a 30 mile test drive. Wouldn't they have noticed that something was wrong with the clutch at that time? Even more troublesome, the clutch seems to have rapidly degraded since those two visits to the dealership.

Car only has 39,500 miles. I drive a mixture of city/highway and don't romp on the car. This is my third stick shift car... Never blown a clutch before. It occured to me that the clutch may have been beaten on before I got the car. When I got the car it had 5200 miles on it. It was a demo car and the dealer said it had been at the NYC auto show. They leased the car to me as a "new" car, but it occured to me (just now unfortunately) that maybe a bunch of idiots beat the crap out of the clutch during those first 5200 miles.

Anyway, I called Lexus directly to complain. They are investigating the issue. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll warranty it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, they don't care. It's a crap clutch and doesn't work correctly with 0 miles on it nor with 38k or any other amount. And guess what, lexus doesn't give a damn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For sure I hate my clutch.
Is it confirmed that it's the flywheel and clutch setup that makes the thing feel so awful?
I go from driving my roommate's STI to my IS about every other day and they're on way opposite sides of the spectrum. The STI handles exactly like a clutch should and with the IS 250 you have to baby everything so much.
Do you think getting the IS-F clutch, short throw, and an aftermarket flywheel help at all?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think all the 250 needs is a lighter flywheel. that would really help with the babying. i know i hate how slow i have to shift, especially coming from the 13lbs flywheel i had in my old supra, but the sad thing is that i'm pretty sure there is no aftermarket flywheel for the IS right now, and i really don't think there will be one...

edit: i just read in another thread that TI-IS250MT made his own clutch kit shedding off 20lbs off the thing, so hopefully he can mass produce that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't worry, I'm still working on it. I'm very happy with the results and my car is honestly so fun to drive I'd rather spend my time doing that. With just intake, lowered stance, and this clutch/flywheel with some buttery Redline MT90 GL-4 gear oil its all butter baby. Best thing I did besides this clutch/flywheel was finally getting the balls to get the GL-5 gear oil out and going with the MT90 which is designed for toyota transmissions. My 2nd gear goes right in no matter how fast I throw it and it doesn't crunch or grind anymore. But this thing f'in revs now. With the 20 lbs in reduced mass I can just blow through these gears not to mention great launches with the stage 3 clutch... I pulled a half car on a G37 at a light running first all the way out with him. That would never happen with the old setup. God I just think back to how long it took for that clutch to sweet talk that heavy ass flywheel off the line alone. I'm making changes giving feedback, the only thing i don't like about the setup is that it is a little noisier at idle and if you don't run each gear up enough to where the rpm in the new gear is above 2500 rpm you here the springs on that stage 3 clutch gripping as the is250 motor doesn't have the torque below 2500 rpm.. If you drive the car correctly you will never feel this is a problem and it has its benefit as alerting you when the motor is bogged which is loading the rod bearings heavily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nice to hear good word on your set up. what made you decide to use a stage 3 clutch? i'm sure with our cars, a weaker clutch would still be fine, and possibly not be as noisy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer told me that they would install the lexus "higher" performance clutch for $800 and some change because they know that the clutch sucks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't worry, I'm still working on it. I'm very happy with the results and my car is honestly so fun to drive I'd rather spend my time doing that. With just intake, lowered stance, and this clutch/flywheel with some buttery Redline MT90 GL-4 gear oil its all butter baby. Best thing I did besides this clutch/flywheel was finally getting the balls to get the GL-5 gear oil out and going with the MT90 which is designed for toyota transmissions. My 2nd gear goes right in no matter how fast I throw it and it doesn't crunch or grind anymore. But this thing f'in revs now. With the 20 lbs in reduced mass I can just blow through these gears not to mention great launches with the stage 3 clutch... I pulled a half car on a G37 at a light running first all the way out with him. That would never happen with the old setup. God I just think back to how long it took for that clutch to sweet talk that heavy ass flywheel off the line alone. I'm making changes giving feedback, the only thing i don't like about the setup is that it is a little noisier at idle and if you don't run each gear up enough to where the rpm in the new gear is above 2500 rpm you here the springs on that stage 3 clutch gripping as the is250 motor doesn't have the torque below 2500 rpm.. If you drive the car correctly you will never feel this is a problem and it has its benefit as alerting you when the motor is bogged which is loading the rod bearings heavily.
any update for this???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts