Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone have cams for their NA IS? Or any IS in general. Does anyone know where to look and what kind of gains they could bring. I imagine they might be pretty expensive because of the VVT-i. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
hks has them (hksusa.com) i dont think anyone knows the NA gains, and you can only get the exhaust cam without interferring with the VVT-i (i think)

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
You get any kind of cam, HKS is a personal fave of mine (one is for sale in the FS section)

So yeah just get one, and slap it on get some dyno tuning and you are good to go

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
theformat26 said:
hks has them (hksusa.com) i dont think anyone knows the NA gains, and you can only get the exhaust cam without interferring with the VVT-i (i think)
there arent any cams there, that i could find anyway...

IMPRIMIS said:
You get any kind of cam, HKS is a personal fave of mine (one is for sale in the FS section)

So yeah just get one, and slap it on get some dyno tuning and you are good to go
any kind of cam ? i didnt know that there were any readily available cams made for the IS300, or the 2JZ-GE even. who's selling an HKS cam in the sale section ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I'm talking about the camshaft... Sorry I should have specified. I know HKS and other companies have cam gears and that yes you only need it on the exhaust camshaft so that it doesnt affect the VVT-i.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
well if you want to go to the trouble of cams, I belive Crower or Comp Cams can probably Regrind the stockers that would allow you to keep VVT-I. But as far as the havoc this may wreak with the stock ecu i am not sure. I would say bare minimum you would need a emanage to probably help with the a/f curve and probably raise the rev limit to account for the new cams. Since you will more than likely replace the springs as well.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I though the same thing (is he talking about cams or cam gears..) Well go with the HKS Cam gear. By Far it is the best. Don't let that 3 bolt set-up scare you away. Many 1000+hp supras use them. (I am guessing your no where close to that.)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
it has a lot to do with the lsa and duration on the cam maybe not as much as the lift. Like on a chevy truck you can get away with 112 and not much more before the computer craps at idle. I'm not sure how far you could really push the stock ecu with a cam before it'd go crazy. I'd love for someone to test that limit but i seriously doubt many people will. so eh? are cams worth it? on a NA motor dollar for dollar probably not, but if you do cams, and say a port and polish on the head with better springs and valve job. well then there may very well be some power to be had there if you bump th redline on up to say 7500 or so, plus it'll really be nice to have an extra 1k rpms to pull throught that you made more power. as long as you didn't lose low end in the process this would actually probably make a nice difference as you can use the better gear ratio's for a longer ammount of time. But to make it worth it, i'd look at probably about 2 grand at least by the time u run at least a emanage ultimate and some headwork althought that's a big iffy on price there. really if you have to pay labor also i'd chalk it up to 3 grand to be on the safe side. but you could probably pick up at least half a second or more in the 1/4 mile from the higher redline, with no drop off in power. Not to mention i figure these mods would have to be worth at least 30 RWHP, but they also make that exhaust and intake a bigger deal too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i doubt they will net you 30 RWHP, prolly closer to 15 RWP.. which is not even worth it IMO for 2-3k dollars..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
if you did raise the redline to 7500 rpms and changed the springs and ran something liek the emanage ultimate yes i think that with an extra thousand rpms and some cams to accomadate the extra air flow you very well could gain 30 rwhp up there. now what those cams will do to lower in the curve i'm not sure with the vvt-i.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
MAXXPSI, of course it would be cheaper, or dang close too it.

you are running different cams correct? or did you have to ditch the vvt-i head also?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
MAXXPSI, of course it would be cheaper, or dang close too it.

you are running different cams correct? or did you have to ditch the vvt-i head also?

You are correct, I am running 272's non VVTi head. I have an SC300 non VVTi head.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wish there was as much research on the 2JZ engine in NA form as there is in the 1JZ motors. I would be curious as to what kind of gains there are though in a cammed, and ported and polished 2jz, maybe with a step larger valves. I would imagine that we could realisticly build a 260 rwhp maybe 275 rwhp motor. whih would mean about 320 ish Flywheel HP 3.0. Which would give us that magic 100 hp per liter that honda guys love to quote. but yes it would be expensive . so Eh what can we do? boost and enjoy i say.

EDIT: sweet setup i must add too Maxxpsi. Which i had enough dough to go there with the IS

·
Registered
85 Posts
what about cam gears on the intake? and would say stage 2 cam shafts be more beneficial than keeping the vvt-i? would there be any...reprocusions, consiquences, problems etc.? in other words would a non VVt-i with stage 2 cam shafts (and gears) have better power than a VVt-i with only exhaust cam work?
thanks

SilentAttack said:
I though the same thing (is he talking about cams or cam gears..) Well go with the HKS Cam gear. By Far it is the best. Don't let that 3 bolt set-up scare you away. Many 1000+hp supras use them. (I am guessing your no where close to that.)
i think you should look at this thread, http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=266702&highlight=hks+cams

1 - 17 of 17 Posts