Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live NY, I orderd a black/black is, all options...etc I plan on using the 17" Rims all year round.
i have drivin a 91 mustang GT and a 87 IROC in the snow, & I cant see this care being any worse. Let me know
if this sounds crazy?!

------------------
ScoochyDawg -
if you're not wasted, a day is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have changed my summer tires to winter ones (Michelin XM+S 330) with stock 17" rims a couple of weeks ago, since we have started having heavy frost in the morning. Those summer tires tend to have really bad (or no) traction when road is cold. I plan not to drive my is300 when weather is sever (snow or icy), and to drive the winter car so that I can be relaxed in winter. Well, I am living in Buffalo, I actually need a snow mobile

·
Registered
978 Posts
If and when it does snow here in the DC Metro area, I don't plan to take my IS 300 out of my driveway. RWD + 17" summer tires = disaster waiting to happen. I'll just have to get reaquainted with public transportation.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i know how nasty it would be with all the snow especailly with a RWD and 17" low profile tries.
I only driving it during the weekends with this car since i can take the public transportation for daily commutes to work. As you know, there aren't much snow in the city(they plow them quickly), i am sure you needed winter tires in LI, Buffalo and other heavy snow areas. good luck through the winter...

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Gelgoog, how much did you pay?
I am staying with my 17 inch.
I got Dunlop Graspic HS-1 winter tires.
$716 total including mounting and balancing.
Looks real badass now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I paid $135 + $10 (tire + mounting/balancing) for each tire; thus paid total $630 including sales tax. This is a dealer's package; the dealer stores my summer tires in their heated warehouse during winter. I beleive this Michelin XM+S 330 has been discontinued recently, and Arctic Pilot has succeeded it.

Since then, the winter tires are screaming on corners even with relatively slow speed. I am aware that the winter tires get excessive wear by running dry surface, but tires are always cheaper than body works; better to be precautionary.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Im leaving my 17in on during the winter. NY has had a couple of fluries already. BUt when the real snow comes, i'll just stay home or use another car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My dealer claims that the Potenzas are All-Weather. I doubt this, but have not found any info on the RE040 (not even at the Bridgestone site). We have fairly mild winters here in KC (snows a couple of times) and I was thinking of leaving the 17's on. Can't decide. Might get a winter set. If I do, should I get 16's or 17's All-Season or Winter?

·
11,061 Posts
When and IF it snows in Seattle, I'm staying parked. (It's not me; it's the other idiots out there.) I own a condo and have no storage place for tires. It takes a little longer to get to work on the bus, but hey, the bus to work does stop at my driveway and the grocery store is only three blocks away.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yep, I'm fortunate enough to own a very competent SUV (Supercharged Toyota 4Runner Limited). So the day it snows, I'll park my IS in the garage and switch to the 4Runner.

black/ivory
17"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts