Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are considering to pull the ecu out completely and letting the haltech e6x control everything. has anyone done this before? using a standalone to run as a standalone on an IS vs. using a standalone as a piggyback.....

my wiring guy says it shouldn't be a problem and should work fine. if this were the case, i would assume more people would have done this by now. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,418 Posts
i think tsop did with his motec. i could be wrong though

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm curious too. My understanding was that the stock ecu controls oddball things like power windows and it has to have a MAF for the gas gauge to work (not just the MPG but the how much fuel do I have left gas gauge). Would be curious how true some of these things are.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I run the haltech e11v2 the stock ecu control the basic functions of the car including the tranny. Motor wise is all controlled by the haltech. Good luck getting the gas guage to read properly most of them dont including mine not that big of a deal just got to watch the mileage.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The stock ecu doesn't control the airbags, abs, windows, or whatever. All it really controls is the engine fuel/ignition, engine functions, auto transmission unless you're manual, and the throttle by wire. Most people run the standalone as a piggyback because they can't control the throttle by wire with the standalone. If you have a more advanced standalone that can control the electronic throttle then you can most likely get rid of the stock ecu completely. Off the top of my head these are the ones that have e-throttle function: Motec M600, ViPEC v88, ProEFI. There are probably a few more that I'm leaving out but that's just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's what makes sense to me but when I asked Dezod about it, the mentioned that the stock ECU will prevent a number of things from functioning. I asked them based on this on their EMS page:

That's right! After so long and so much time has been spent, the team has finally hit the jackpot with a full plug-n-play AEM EMS, which still allows for all power windows, power locks, moon roof and several other luxuries as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
After I install my Haltech Platinum 2000 I lost my auto climate control, the a/c still works but ony on the manual settings. My tuner Rick who bought Aldo's old IS300 has the came issue, has anyone else had this problem? Also my gas gauge now works in 1/4 tank increments, Rick and I plan to simulate a MAF signal with the Haltech to correct the gas gauge.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a 2jz-gte and i'm running hks F-con works great just like stock
If I'm not mistaken I think the F-Con still runs as a dual ecu setup on these cars.

After I install my Haltech Platinum 2000 I lost my auto climate control, the a/c still works but ony on the manual settings. My tuner Rick who bought Aldo's old IS300 has the came issue, has anyone else had this problem? Also my gas gauge now works in 1/4 tank increments, Rick and I plan to simulate a MAF signal with the Haltech to correct the gas gauge.
How did you lose functionality of the AC? Swapping to a different standalone shouldnt affect operation of the AC. Or did you actually remove the factory ecu all together?

·
Registered
249 Posts
how are those Vipec standalones?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Sounds like a sick project. I know there are two multiplex wires out of the ECU, most likely going to the body ECU, and I think the dash.

Very surprised to hear the A/C working funny without the ECU.

With a capable standalone this would be a great project though, I'd love to be involved. One could get the base part for the patch harnesses and wire it into the standalone, do the necessary basics to run OE sensors and ignitor and make for a truly plug and play replacement.

I wouldn't see what simulating the MAF signal would do. That signal goes to the ECU to then be used for auto tranny controls. Maybe a PCS tranny controller could be used. For the gas gauge I'm pretty sure thats a multiplex signal sent to the dash so again the MAF signal is not directly used. IMO one would have to jerry-rig the floater wiring to directly power the gauge-- sounds like a PITA.

If this car was totally analog and didn't have multiplex it would be a much easier task.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It sounds like a great idea and a good way to clean up a few things, but the reward is so unworthy with all the work that is required... All this work just to rid the stock ECU, then just to simulate a bunch of signals from your standalone to match the stock ECU.

It it doable on a 5spd IS300, but if you have an auto, you will lose your automatic transmission functions and E-shift on your steering wheel won't work. I absolutely hate buttons and switches that does not work in my car.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Dan haven't you learned from Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder?

Never go "full retard"

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well.. the project has already started. we have already ripped out most of the wiring.... lol

thanks for the support De! lol

·
Premium Member
21,418 Posts
you have just cemented the odds in my favor of finishing before you LOL

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ indeed lol but my car will be cooler and i has a turbo you has a sc.... fag lol

·
Premium Member
21,418 Posts
dont be jealous

1 - 20 of 30 Posts