Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone did it before? what kind of tools & parts do i need? any difficulties? please include steps if possible.


thanks,
Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,294 Posts
e46-pyellow said:
Did anyone did it before? what kind of tools & parts do i need? any difficulties? please include steps if possible.


thanks,
Jack
Remove the Radiator Cap
Remove the plastic under engine panel.
on the drivers side of the radiator in the lower corner you will see the white plastic drain valve (petcock for SophieSleeps)
Place a container under the drain and open the valve to drain fluid.

once all drained out...... tighten up drain valve and refill with red coolant. then replace rad cap. Dont forget to reinstall under engine plastic cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Yea, what BDR said.

Also...
I seem to remember you need to make sure you get all the air out of the system. Something like turn on the heater... and run the car after you fill it. Then top off. Repeat if needed.

Does that sound right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
I think you want to turn on the heater before you drain, so you get that trapped coolant out too. Also start and run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
e46-pyellow said:
Did anyone did it before? what kind of tools & parts do i need? any difficulties? please include steps if possible.


thanks,
Jack
Remove the Radiator Cap
Remove the plastic under engine panel.
on the drivers side of the radiator in the lower corner you will see the white plastic drain valve (petcock for SophieSleeps)
Place a container under the drain and open the valve to drain fluid.

once all drained out...... tighten up drain valve and refill with red coolant. then replace rad cap. Dont forget to reinstall under engine plastic cover.
Where can I get red coolant at? which brand/type?
Thanks much....

Chris
 

·
Runs on Rice
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
ChicagoKid said:
BigDaddyRich said:
e46-pyellow said:
Did anyone did it before? what kind of tools & parts do i need? any difficulties? please include steps if possible.


thanks,
Jack
Remove the Radiator Cap
Remove the plastic under engine panel.
on the drivers side of the radiator in the lower corner you will see the white plastic drain valve (petcock for SophieSleeps)
Place a container under the drain and open the valve to drain fluid.

once all drained out...... tighten up drain valve and refill with red coolant. then replace rad cap. Dont forget to reinstall under engine plastic cover.
Where can I get red coolant at? which brand/type?
Thanks much....

Chris
You can buy them from toyota dealership.. that's what lexus dealers use too... same shit..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
What is being said here is a drain and refill, not a "flush". You do not get all the coolant out this way but it's more then enough in terms of mainternance need. For the "flush", you need a machine in order to get the coolant out of the block. Most places will do this for like $60.

For those do it at home coolant change. Make sure you put your heat on High (MAX) to release the coolant from the core. As for the coolant in the block, you need a machine, unless there is a bolt on the block to release this. I have seen some cars with a bolt on the block that releases coolant once you take if off, but not sure about the IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
On the coolant instructions it says to mix with like 50% water...


you don'thave to do that???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
mattssi said:
On the coolant instructions it says to mix with like 50% water...


you don'thave to do that???
I'm not sure about the Toyota coolant, but most coolant can be bought either pre mixed or you can get the type that you mix with water. It's best to follow the instructions on the container of the particular coolant that you have.

Other than cooling the engine, and protecting from freezing, there are two other important reasons for changing coolant. Coolant contains corrosion inhibitor that helps prevent the radiator from clogging and failing. Coolant also lubricates the water pump. Neglecting coolant change can result in premature failure of water pump and/or radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
i'm not sure but usually the red coolant that they speak of is dex cool its a product made by havoline. its a higher quality than most coolant and thus you can run it longer without changing your coolant. where as normal coolant you can run 2 years or 24000 miles dex cool can be run 5years or 150000 miles. but never mix regular coolant with dex cool many problems can arise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Toyota coolant sells for $25.00 /gallon. Is anyone using a different brand for less???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
at the bottom of the engine, on the same
side as the exhaust manifold, not too far from the
firewall, i believe there is a screw-on cap that you can
remove and the rest of the coolant will come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
there is a device you can buy that flushes the radiator. its a t connection, with a spot that you can attach a water hose to. you just drain the radiator like said above. then attach water hose (garden hose) turn on water and force the rest of the coolent outa the block. i've done it to an explorer and a ford ranger, not on the IS300 yet. too scared!!!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top