Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 has about 235K on it now. I'm getting what I believe is torque converter rumble in 2nd and maybe some in 3rd when gently accelerating. I have done a "home" fluid flush and I still have it. Just wondering if this was common. AFAIK there is no magic bullet other than a trans rebuild, but I was wondering if it was worth having a trans shop do a "power flush" with whatever they use. I have a friend with an older Tundra with an auto, and he's had wicked converter rumble for years and it just keeps going. My rumble is not that bad, so my thinking is basically to just live with it until something really craps out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can feel it, it seems like it's deep in the "core" of the car. It does not seem to come from any particular spot, and the first time I noticed it I thought it was something on the pavement. If you google "torque converter rumble" it's also called torque converter shudder. It's a known thing, not only for Toyota products. What is puzzling to me is that I have read that it's more related to issues with the lockup function of the converter, which, I think, only happens in high gear. But this is definitely in 2 and 3, at least for my car. I don't think that someone new to the car would notice it - they would just think it was some kind of road noise if they noticed it at all, like I did at first. FYI my friend with the Tundra says his rumble is like driving over a cattle guard, but I've never ridden in his truck.

·
4,161 Posts
Check your motor and tranny mounts. Also. Only in high gear does not make me think converter rumble. Check the mounts then check the drive shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts