Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice find. If I ever lost a key, I'd definitely consider getting one of these in place of the standard key, especially for the price. Hope someone can give you some feedback one way or the other. The ones from Australia look pretty decent from what I could tell by the photo in the ad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the price is almost the same as the regular key. But, I just don't want it to be crapy.

My VW flip key is way nice, but it is OEM.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
13,727 Posts
I just bought one of these off of Ebay myself and I still need to get it cut. First observations:

The place where you attach a key ring is cheaply painted gold plastic. I suspect the gold coloring will wear very quickly

The blade is longer than the oem key. I assume it can be cut, but definitely not oem quality

The key blade needs to be sanded and smoothed down

Comes with no key chain ring

I am undecided on how I feel about this product, I like the idea of having this type of key, I just wish the key was of higher oem quality. It would be nice if the Lexus logo could be on the cast too. I will post more info when I get it cut and actually start to use it. I assume having it cut will cost more than the key itself.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I tried it, did not like it. Withing 4 days, the case cracked around the key. I regret wasting $80 on it. Here is my review form the above mention thread:

We all know the key is BIG and the blade is long. As i stated in my previous post, it is also too thick. It only works on the door and ignition locks. No trunk and no glove box. The key fell light even with the remote inside. It is held together with two screws, one top one bottom. But even with that it feels flimsy,loose, cheaply made. The blade feels like is gonna pop out of the plastic case at any moment. When the key is inserted in the ignition and twisted to start you feel a lot play between the metal blade and plastic shell. In my opinion: It is not worth the $80 spent on buying it, cutting it etc.

Reactions: anfro

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought one yesterday, and i will see if this is the real deal. looks good in pictures.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
you guys got me excited for like.. a few seconds :lol:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I got the key, but havent cut it yet. my issue is the cheap plastic casing. but if you look at the money, its not bad for the price, im looking into gettin the aluminum modling for it. so the casing will be more durable and have better weight to it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I posted about this when I first found them on ebay and let the fellow Canadian IS300 owners know about it in their forum.

http://my.is/forums/f122/lexus-switchblade-collective-buy-list-being-organized-337338/

I myself just received mine today. Will probably see if I can get it cut this weekend. The plastic is a bit flimsy and I'm not a fan of the gold accents either, but pretty cool none the less.

Crown, keep us updated if you do decide to make some mold utilizing a more thicker design.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Been a couple of weeks now, still working like a charm.

No issues. No wear and tear.

Digger08

1 - 20 of 24 Posts