Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have decided to start seeing what this thing will do lately. Nothing stupid, just jumping on it to see what it's got now that I'm well beyond break-in. I'm impressed for the most part. Haven't had any opportunity to see what LSD gives me though.

Anyone else DRIVING their IS?

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I'm driving it like an old woman right now...waiting for the break in...I am going nuts waiting...150 miles left!

I do zip into a turn here and there - I love the grip...super crisp and a whole lotta fun

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
why is it so important to drive like a grandma during break in period?
Should I be doing that?
I did some quick acceleration but I never went above 80mph

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I definitely got my car broken in.. literally!! (By a big azz Ford F-150 hitting me at 35-40mph on the side) =X Its got just over.. 2,000+ miles now.. but as soon as it gets out of the shop.. in maybe 2 months.. i'm supin the sh*t out of it.. hope aftermarket parts become more readily available by then.

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
675 Posts
So far I have autocrossed the IS twice. The first time was at 480 miles.

I have been to the plants in Japan and the quality control is unparalleled. There is no question as to why Lexus is always at the top of the J.D. Power surveys. Each of our cars has been to redline and the suspension fully shaken.

The tolerences in newer vehicles are so precise that the "break in" period is becoming less and less important.

My car has been driven and 10/10ths and I think it holds its own for a "sport/luxury" sedan. Race tires and an LSD are next on the list.

·
Registered
226 Posts
First time I floored it was after I got hit by a Suburban on I-405. We pulled over to the shoulder after the accident occured. After exchanging info. I merged onto the freeway with "the hammer dropped". I was pretty sad, and a bit excited at the same time.

By the way, the LSD is GREAT. It's nice in the rain... nice when you're going hard into a right turn. As for straight line, maybe it's too quiet or something, but it doesn't feel too fast. People who ride in it think I'm crazy and tell me how the car pushes them back into their seat. Weird. Maybe it's just me. Anyways, I really enjoy pushing the car.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
DJ,

I feel the same way, but I have noticed that I do get pushed back more when I am the passenger's seat than compared to when I'm in the driver's seat. At least I think I do. Maybe because you know when you are gonna accelerate so you are actually prepared for it... I think.

crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
3 Posts
Overall I'm impressed with the performance and handling. However, occasionally there is a lag in acceleration when taking off from the mark. Once it takes hold though, you're off like a shot. The ECT power button is great for passing in traffic. The cornering abilities of this car are exceptional. My afternoon commute is a blast!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i'm well beyond the break-in period... but i have yet to floor it and feel the completely open throttle. it's scary how quiet the engine is... and i'm looking to give it just a hint of aggressive "you can't touch this"
deep purr. i definitely think an exhaust
and intake are in the future.. as well as a strut tower brace and tie bars. the grip is great.. but i want full 90 degree turns going pretty fast... not that i would do that on a usual basis.. but just for the shear knowledge that my car is sportier than just your average lexus.

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I'm burning through my tires like there's no tomorrow...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
why is it so important to drive like a grandma during break in period?
Should I be doing that?
I did some quick acceleration but I never went above 80mph
no...do NOT baby your car during break in (don't wail on it, either). search for this in previous threads...I've given my .02 many times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts