Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone actually think about getting the S2000 before getting the IS300?

For me, I actually went to a local dealer in San Diego to check out the S2000 before I give up the hope on that. The arrogant saleman at Honda don't let me test drive the car at all!!! Not only that, they don't even sell it for anything less that MSRP... $h_it, forget it, I am not as crazy as buying a car 2-3K above MSRP.... That's why I am here

·
Registered
85 Posts
thats actually what i had in mind for months(begged my dad everyday for that). the lexus was like a last minute discision. they were charging 39,500.00 for the s-2000 over here because they said its hard to get..i mean come on now its a HONDA and thats just to much for a little 2 seaters.. still love the car though ..

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I too checked out S2000 before I even considered IS300. I went into the dealership asking for S2000 brochure and the availability of it. The salesman ask us to sit and down talk to us about the car since he didn't have a brochure to give away. He then said that I cannot test drive the car because the car is usually pre-sold (I believe that). I was still considering the car until he said that they have a marked up of $4K, but since I seem nice, he is willing to do me a favor and cut that down to $2K over MSRP. I pretty much gave up the car after that. My policy is that I would never buy a car over MSRP. Heck, I almost didn't buy my IS because I had to buy it at MSRP, and if not because the salesman gave me bunch of free stuff, I would have walked out the Lexus dealership already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow...I had basically the same experience.

I wanted the S2000 too. But they were charging 3K over MSRP. No way...

Then I decided on the Lexus IS 300 and I still refused to pay MSRP. I ended getting my IS for 32K completely loaded by playing the dealers off of each other. I think I got a really great deal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Half a year ago when I check out the S2000, the saleman at Pacific Honda, S.D. told me that there are people in the waiting list willing to pay $34,000 for it. I don't really believe that guy as he bull$h_it me too much there. He said the sales manager probably are willing to sell me the Red One for MSRP, but no guarantee. (There were 2 Silver and 1 Red at that time.)

Also, they don't let me test drive unless I placed a deposit and for sure I would buy it. Com' On!! How could I for sure to buy a 30K car without actually test it and ride on it What if it's not as good as people said ?!

I told them that I want to place an order with the Red interior if I satisfied with the test drive. They said "SURE, but expect to pay 6-7K above invoice".

"WHAT !!!!???" I walked away, and said "See ya Later, Man".

I am glad that I choose the 2002 IS300. My girlfriend thinks it's sexy, stylish. She hates the S2000 because it's not a 4-doors That's a plus on the IS. S2000's interior is too small for a 6 footer like me and definitely NOT ENOUGH head room. It looks plastic and have none of the luxury gadgets like the IS300. Performance, sure. A lot. But I ain't racer and I'm not going to race my first > $30K car yet.

For an average man like me, which want both performance (for the weekend) and still driving it to work from Monday to Friday. It seems to be a sane choice for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
About the same story here.

After days of disgust at the blatant opportunism ($2-4K over MSRP) of the Los Angeles-area Honda dealers over what was supposed to be Honda's celebration of their 50th anniversary for their die-hard enthusiasts, a call to a salesman at Penske Honda netted me the words I was looking for, "Yeah, I think I can sell you a S2000 at MSRP."

I didn't expect a brochure or a test drive. I didn't even expect to pick up my car anytime soon. I didn't even expect an interior/exterior color. I simply wanted to give them my money so that I could wait for a plain-Jane S2000 with all the manufacturer options.

Long story short, they wouldn't sell me a S2000 without the tacky "aero" add-ons and "black chrome" badging that added something like $2000 to MSRP. For something that I consider to be a Japanese Lotus, the tacked-on sh!t, not the money, was absolutely unacceptable. They would not take my money to wait for another S2000 to arrive and refrain from putting the sh!t on. They told me that they intended to put these "value-added" accessories on every S2000 that came in because they would still sell every one of them.

So that was it for the S2000. Honda Motor probably has no idea how much their "treat for the enthusiasts" has cost them dearly through the greed of their dealers. I for one will now always balk at the thought of a buying a Honda car, not because I dislike the car, but that I would rather drive a Mustang than give my hard-earned money to their dealers.

Lexus, OTOH, I would give money any day of the week, not that such tithing would ever become necessary, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a silver S2000 on order with an down payment. It was about 4months ago. No mark up. But, I passed it up for the IS300. I don't know if I can drive a two door all the time..

But sometimes when I see a S2000 on the street, I feel a lil regret that I passed up the chance.

S2000 is such a nice car. Drives really nice. Redlines at 8700 RPM or something like that.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: digitalfreq ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too, considered the S2000. But since convertibles aren't my style, and the plastic window bugged me, and also since the audio system in the Lexus is untouchable by the Honda, the IS won hands down. Oh, and insurance rates are better too..., more to list, but you get the idea...

Spoiler

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually bought the S2000 instead of the IS300, it was a tough decision, but i still plan on getting an IS300, my father is planning on getting one, and actually my friend has an IS, he let me test drive it, but it didn't have manual, so i gotta try the new standard tranny. the S2K is a great car though i believe its worth the money they ask.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why not get the Acura RSX?? It's got 200 horses, damn fast, and an 8k RPM redline, but only for a fraction of the price of the S2000......Unless you're looking for a 2-seater convertible........

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: dude ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
dude
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing