Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article...

BMW claims that stiff anti-roll bars have a negative effect on straight line handling. Makes sense to me. However this is the first that I have heard of such a opinion.

Any of you guys with aftermarket sways notice a difference in straight line handling?

·
Registered
755 Posts
ya, your car moves along with the road a lot now...

after i put my sways in, if i take my hands off the wheel.. i start swerving depending on what the condition of the road is..

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
interesting :eek:

guess having the softer suspension, helps keep the car straight... that is it can absorb the road a little more with smaller sways

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The only time I notice anything different in my straight line driving is when the road surface is uneven from the left to right side of the car. The sways in effect take a little of the independance out of the independant suspension. It there is a pothole or a bump on the right side of the lane, when my wheel hits it, the forces are transfered from the right side of the car to the left through the sway.

Normally though, there is very little difference in the feel of the car going straight.

And is it just me or does straight line handling sound like an oxymoron? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I don't think stiff sway bars are the best way to improve handling - because you are reducing the benefit of an independent rear suspension. I put stiffer springs & shocks on, but use stock sway bars, and my car's pretty neutral.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's true that stiffening up the sways can affect straightline traction. It won't affect HP as far as that's concern, but it affects traction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts