Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying these tires for my stock rims @ 160 a tire. Anybody know anything about these tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
They are a good tire, rated very high for performance and wet/dry weather. I have them on my car. PM BrandTireRack (I think that is his screen name) and he can give you more info.

·
11,054 Posts
Me gots 'em. Me Likes 'em. (all seasons) ...and $160 is a steal. I paid $205.

Road and Track
April 2, 2002
Tire For All Seasons

You're looking at what Michelin calls "the most advanced Z-rated tire ever," one the company believes will revolutionize the all-season category. The goal of the Pilot Sport A/S is simple: Perform as well as summer tires in the dry and wet, while giving the driver cold weather and snow ability. Contrary to what you might think, summer tires usually outperform all-season tires in the wet; in fact, we've confirmed this in several Tire Technology Tests (see Road & Track Magazine issues 4/94, 11/94, 4/97 and 11/99).

Michelin went about their task by making the Pilot Sport A/S a three-compound tire. The center rib is high in silica, which aids wet-weather handling and traction. Each side of the center rib comprises a softer compound for cold weather driving, and the tire's shoulders are rich in a soft, carbon black compound that gives ultimate dry performance.

The Pilot Sport A/S also uses Michelin's C3M, the company's advanced (and top secret) flexible manufacturing process.

But can an all-season tire really hang with summer tires in the dry? In a word, yes. Using Michelin's proving grounds in Laurens, South Carolina, we compared the Pilot Sport A/S against all-season and summer tires from the competition on a wet handling course, wet braking and a dry auto-cross (the last using a Panoz Esperante as the test vehicle). It outperformed the all-season tires in all conditions, while proving as good (or better) than the best summer tires. The Pilot Sport A/S gave excellent feedback in the wet (especially in braking), while sticking like a summer tire on the dry autocross.

The Pilot Sport A/S is available in 36 sizes suitable for cars from the Dodge Viper to the BMW 540i to the Ford Mustang GT. — Mike Monticello

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.