Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the IS owners out there..anyone regret buyer it?and for what reason?and for those who love their IS more and more..please tell

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Nope. No regrets yet. I actually keep finding that I like the car more and more.

Some random comments:

The auto tranny is awesome. Really. It seems to base the shift points on (among other things) how hard you get into the pedal - and it really works. If you dump it, it basically doesn't shift until redline, and if you're easy into it, you barely notice it shift...

I'm really impressed with the handling - and this is coming from a guy who drives a tweaked miata.
I'm a lot more confident with the car now and man, does it handle. And very predictable and controlable so far - you gotta take the trac control off to have any fun, but it's easier to "catch" than my miata is...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Tony:

Hit 143 MPH yet??? At the rate you're going, you should've hit it lonnnnnng time ago.....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
No regret here either. I have 500+ miles on the car already, and I engaged the traction control for the first time today, although I didn't know what I really did to have it come on. Anyway, it was not noticable except for the warning light on your dash that lights up.
Also, I test the cornering ability tonight for the first time and I am impressed. Funny thing is the traction control didn't come on this time even though I thought I push the car harder than when I had the traction control engaging. It holds alot better than I thought, better than my brother's C230 Kompressor (lowered w/ 18" rims), and feels just as good as my old GSX. There was a little bit of body roll but it was barely detectable.
Like Webmaster said, the auto tranny is nice, shift is so smooth and it seem like it can read your mind. Also the stereo is great, and if you don't have any music to listen to, listen to the engine sound. It is one of the most beautiful engine sounds you will hear from these luxury cars (I do miss the sound of turbo spooling up in my GSX, but maybe I'll have a turbo in this car in the future

·
Registered
256 Posts
I regret that I didn't wait for the manual. After a weekend of driving my IS around, I got back in my manual Eclipse to drive to work...

And I definitely noticed that despite how good the auto transmission is, for connecting with the engine, there is nothing like a manual transmission.

My regret is less with the car and more with my decision to give in to the dark side and buy an automatic...

·
Registered
456 Posts
No regrets here. I love my new IS. I still have about 400 miles to go on break in but damn the car is just beggin me to haul ass.

Joel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by darth_yao:
I I definitely noticed that despite how good the auto transmission is, for connecting with the engine, there is nothing like a manual transmission.
It's funny but I would choose auto even if std was available. I've driven a std for the last 15+ years and it's nice to be able to drive (especially in traffic) without thinking about constantly shifting.

Different strokes I guess.....

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I've gotten to 130 so far, I need more road...

As for the traction control, it depends on how you're in the turn, I've taken the same turn at different speeds and will sometimes trigger the trac and sometimes not, it's really all in how you nail the turn. Hit the apex just right and it sings through the turn with no trac... But for real fun you've got to turn it off.

I'm trying to decide whether to autox with or without the traction control...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts