Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm buying a Lexus is300 soon with 76,600 miles on it in excellent condition (I didn't spot a ding ANYWHERE nor any problems, also had an expert mechanic that is a friend of mines check it). I am planning to own and drive the car around for a while, like the next 7-10 years, and I wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with an is300 with 100,000 miles or over on the engine. An expert car mechanic told me "Toyota's are on demand, they will run for a while, maybe at 300,000 miles until you will start seeing problems." The current car I drive, a 1998 Toyota Avalon, has 136,800 miles on it and NEVER in my life had a problem with that car, EVER. I also have a friend who owns a 1991 Acura Integra with a whopping 317,000 miles on it, the technicals all stock and it still runs great, minor problems with head gasket and fuses. If anyone did, please state what was the problem and at how many miles, also year of veichle. I would gladly appreciate it, thanks so much IS community. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
There are people on here who have 150k miles or more and haven't had a problem. Assuming you don't buy one of the very rare lemons the car should last you a long time as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I think you'll be ok. Remember any car can last for a long time. The key is proper maintenance, not only the replacements of fluids but also the wear and tear parts that will arise as the car gets older.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well im almost at 100k (im at 98,xxx) And right now im having a big vibration thruout the car. And i think a throttle problem. The engine is a bit noiser than it was back in the spring. And other little annoying things. But for the most part ive heard these cars are very reliable and never have major problems. I just wish i had better luck with mine. I think youll be alright.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Original owner, 115,00 miles. Not a single mechanical problem yet. Only normal wear items brakes, tires and a timing belt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you IS community, its a clean title car, the most CLEANEST is300 i have ever seen in my life, 76,600 miles for $15,000. NO MODS, 5 speed manual, 2002<<<<<<<<VERY VERY RARE to find a 5 speed manual with no modifications and clean title, with low miles, put that on, I rejected many other is300's due to automatic transmission and modifiactions. i driven in is300's that were modded, not as fun, honestly, as a stock. Plus more problems with a modded car. i plan to NOT mod my car other than maybe add in a navigation system and put brighter HID headlights on it (when the stock ones run out).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 120,000 and no problems whatsoever. I had some problems with the steering because I hit a 8 inch deep pothole but thats it haha. Like everyone else said just make sure you keep up on maintenance. You should make sure the 60,000 service was done and follow the recomended future maintenance.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
do your timimg belt first... other than that just stay ontop of the maintenance and it should go well into the high 200k marker... if not there are many different swaps that can be done with our cars ;) best of luck and welcome :approve:

·
Registered
554 Posts
i rather buy 100K mile car than buy 75K mile car
because think
75K more expensive + u close to 85 or 90 K maintain which includes timing + sparkplug +++
100K then those thing should be done + car is cheaper

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for everyones reply. Yes ksoazn, some people has told me that it dosent matter what mileage is on a toyota, Toyotas are ON DEMAND, they run nearly forever. I currently own a 1998 Toyota Avalon XL, with 137,000, not a single problem, glad my parents got their moneys worth. My mom stated the other day "This car looks better and runs better than my 2004 Infiniti I35". Thank you community, hope to hear some more responses.

·
Banned
371 Posts
128k miles.. and stiiill tickin ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm buying a Lexus is300 soon with 76,600 miles on it in excellent condition (I didn't spot a ding ANYWHERE nor any problems, also had an expert mechanic that is a friend of mines check it). I am planning to own and drive the car around for a while, like the next 5-7 years, and i wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with an is300 with 100,000 miles or over on the engine. An expert car mechanic told me "Toyota's are on demand, they will run for a while, maybe at 300,000 miles you will start seeing problems." the current car i drive, a 1998 Toyota Avalon, has 136,800 miles on it and NEVER in my life had a problem with that car, EVER. I also have a friend who owns a 1991 Acura Integra with a whopping 317,000 miles on it with the technicals all stock and it still runs great, minor problems with head gasket and fuses. If anyone did, please state what was the problem and at how many miles, also year of veichle. I would gladly appreciate it, thanks so much IS community.
thats awesome man, my parent used to own a 95 avalon, that thing was nice too, you must be sad to be getting rid of it, oh well at least you found what you were looking for

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank you IS community, its a clean title car, the most CLEANEST is300 i have ever seen in my life, 76,600 miles for $15,000. NO MODS, 5 speed manual, 2002<<<<<<<<VERY VERY RARE to find a 5 speed manual with no modifications and clean title, with low miles, put that on, I rejected many other is300's due to automatic transmission and modifiactions. i driven in is300's that were modded, not as fun, honestly, as a stock. Plus more problems with a modded car. i plan to NOT mod my car other than maybe add in a navigation system and put brighter HID headlights on it (when the stock ones run out).

I would deff go for cheaper than that, imo.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thats awesome man, my parent used to own a 95 avalon, that thing was nice too, you must be sad to be getting rid of it, oh well at least you found what you were looking for
I'm not getting rid of the Avalon, heck no, Toyotas, man they are very good and on DEMAND. My garage is a Toyota family with 1 Nissan. My dad has a 2005 Seqouia (Very big SUV, 21,000 miles and no problems yet), I got a 1998 Avalon (137,000 miles, NO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS, only basic problems such as some of the parts inside the car are falling apart >>like the visor mirror and the air conditioner ventliations<<(soon to go to my little sister, that is why I am buying the IS300 so I can make her dream come true of finally having a car of her own), Big sister has a 1998 Toyota Corolla (101,000 miles on it, NO PROBLEMS, nothing ripping apart on the interior and this car is ABUSED), 1998 Toyota Camry (This car was the only car bought used and it does have problems, surprisignly, but it was obviously the previous owner's fault, it's been in some accidents. I here a lot of cranking noises, head gasket had to be repalced, leaking oil, has 149,000 miles on it but still running well, just those problems), and mom's has 2004 Infiniti I35, good car but hate the handling and no problems at 61,000 miles. Japanese cars are sure to be running for LONG, that's why we see the Toyota Camry's, Toyota Corolla's, and the Honda Accord's from the 1980's still on the streets.....where are the old Chevorlet's at? Tell me that? Thanks for everyone's responses IS Community

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ASSUMING those things were done...
Well I found one that was non-modded, thats my MAIN purpose, I don't want to own a is300 all abused/modded and paying over 10 g's for it (I driven one and it dosen't feel the same, and it's HARD to find a non-modded manual shift IS300). This was probably 1 of the only IS300's that were not modded. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it. I'm also pretty young in age, my parents would NOT be down to help me pay for a car over 100,000 miles, they are barely even helping me anyway even for a 76,600 mile used car. Thanks IS community for your inputs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought a 2001 with super low miles (21k) for 20,000 that had some mods but they weren't anything serious that would affect the car's reliability. I sold the mods and procured stock parts, and came out with a slight profit and exactly what I wanted. The car was super clean too, some owners that are into modding cars are extremely anal about detailing regularly- this guy must have been one of them. Keep that in mind because a dealer is usually looking to get rid of anything they got on trade in that isn't 100% original, regardless of how clean it is.

I definitely agree with you saying a stock car is a lot of fun, and I too like knowing I have parts that were engineered properly (OEM!!). Most aftermarket parts have some kind of associated problem from my experience. Good luck with your search, but be patient too. Your Avalon can hang in there a little longer while you find the perfect IS at the right price.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I bought a 2001 with super low miles (21k) for 20,000 that had some mods but they weren't anything serious that would affect the car's reliability. I sold the mods and procured stock parts, and came out with a slight profit and exactly what I wanted. The car was super clean too, some owners that are into modding cars are extremely anal about detailing regularly- this guy must have been one of them. Keep that in mind because a dealer is usually looking to get rid of anything they got on trade in that isn't 100% original, regardless of how clean it is.

I definitely agree with you saying a stock car is a lot of fun, and I too like knowing I have parts that were engineered properly (OEM!!). Most aftermarket parts have some kind of associated problem from my experience. Good luck with your search, but be patient too. Your Avalon can hang in there a little longer while you find the perfect IS at the right price.
Nice to know a man who thinks like me (Haha!:bigSmile: ). Yeah people like you are lucky, they find sweet deals. My friend bought a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S manual shift with a after-market navigation system, air intake, muffler, lowered, and an aftermarket deck for 19,000$ and only had 12,000 miles on it, he got a steal deal. But once again, I am NOT GETTING RID OF my Toyota Avalon, hah, it's still going to be in the house, just my little sister will be driving it mainly. Plus, that car is such a great car, highly recommended to any one whos looking in the car market for a full size sedan. The new Avalons that come out now look super nice. I still live with my parents, I'm only 19. by the way, this car I'm buying is from a private seller, not dealer (I don't like working with dealers, they raise the price of the car's value by 2-3k). But thanks for your input, Thank you IS community for your inputs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey i Bought a Used lexus is250 ) 07 with 116k back in nov of 2014!!! it has a 142k and so far i have had problems with it left and right!!!! Water pump, break calipers, rear struts and shocks, rear cv boots, front two arms, and alternator all have been replaced at 140k!!! 5k later!!! I live in Jersey fyi!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts