Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices increasing these days, and set to shoot up sky high early next week, do any of you guys occasionally/regularly fill up with 87 to 89 octane??

In the 5 years I had my car, I put 87 octane in 1 time. It was during the blackout on August 14, 2003. Wouldn't you know it, I was damn near empty that day. Luckily, I was heading to my parents and I just barely made it there. They have a 250-gallon above ground, gravity-fed fuel tank. I wish I had one of those tanks, but I live in a bad neighboorhood, and I would be getting robbed non-stop. Fortunately for them, they live in the middle of nowhere. Anyways...the car ran pretty crummy on 87. Kinda like the snow mode was on. Performance was much better once power was restored the next day and could fill up with Sunoco 94.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I dont see the cost/benefit positive relationship of switching to 87. Just drive less, 87 is going to hurt your car.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have never inserted any nozzle except the Chevron w/ Techron (91 octane) into my car's gas hole.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Switch to 87 octnae to save 4.50 at every fill up? I'll pass. The regular to premium differential out here is 30 cents...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Anyone that even thinks about putting 87 in there tank needs to be kicked

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Throw a civic motor in your IS then use 87 besides that, just dont do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree...if you can't justify paying the extra $4 during the fillup I guess just don't put that last 1.3 gallons in the tank. Just change your driving habits if it puts you in that big of a pinch.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KraxyKanuck said:
it only costs about $3 more per tank to put premium in. its not worth it.
I agree. There is always a few thrifty SOB's out there, and wondered what kind of luck they have had (if any) running regular gas.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the fuel requirements were for the NA MKIV Supra? Was it premium as well? If not, then why does the IS300 require premium? A recent story of the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot came to mind where it's the same engine, but differing octane requirements.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Platinum288 said:
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the fuel requirements were for the NA MKIV Supra? Was it premium as well? If not, then why does the IS300 require premium? A recent story of the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot came to mind where it's the same engine, but differing octane requirements.
Fuel requirements for the normally-aspirated Supra were premium (91 or higher).

·
Registered
661 Posts
I filled up with 89 for the first time the other night. No problems what-so-ever, and the car did not act or drive strangely, my next tank will be 93. But if I have a long highway drive ahead of me, i'll save the cash and fill it up with 89, it does NOT hurt the engine or the car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i normally fill up with 89....everything runs fine i used to run premium and cant tell a difference my fuel door doesnt say premium fuel only and the owners manual says that it was tested with 94 or something that mid range would be ok...if i have any troubles ill tell you

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
just cause the car didn't act or drive strangely the first time you did it or even the first few times doesn't mean it's not damaging something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
YellowIS300 said:
I have never inserted any nozzle except the Chevron w/ Techron (91 octane) into my car's gas hole.
I second that.... nothing but Chevron Supreme....i can usually only fill it up a half tank but still!! its better than regular! believe me.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
don't drive a lexus if you're going to put anything less than recommended premium.

·
Registered
661 Posts
m3thod said:
just cause the car didn't act or drive strangely the first time you did it or even the first few times doesn't mean it's not damaging something.
Im pretty sure its not going to damage anything. From a technical standpoint, dont our cars have knock sensors? If so, all putting non-premuim gasoline in our car would do is retard the timing and give you a loss of power. Nothing will break or explode.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts