Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What's all this, then?
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here in the Southeast Lexus region, apparently all the ISCs are being ordered with what I call the "Gold Metal Pitchback" rear windscreen as a port-installed option. I understand that they're generally coming with Park Assist in lieu of the windscreen in the Northeast region.

My question to any Northeast owners who don't have the windscreen: can you tell me if you have small plastic slide-in inserts underneath of each of your rear headrests? These act as brace points for the back end of the windscreen when it's installed. They're easiest to see when the rear headrests are folded down. They easily slide on and off the headrests.

I'm trying to figure out if these only get installed at the port when the car comes with the windscreen, or if they're on all 2010 ISCs.

I'll try to take a picture today after work to clarify what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll know more when mine arrives next week. ;)

I'm getting one without the screen that was originally slated for another dealer (CT.). The dealer wanted to know if he should add the screen for $600. No way I would drive around with that ugly thing!!

If I had gotten one with the screen I would have taken it out immediately. The dealer told me they come on BMW's also. Probably the reason they put them on this car. The Lexus deserves much better than that trash. Really bad idea..... :confused:

·
What's all this, then?
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, based on my experience with the windscreen in the MB SLK (which is far less unobtrusive, but just as annoying as the Lexus version), when cars for the SE region finally started showing up on my dealer's allocation with this monstrosity as a PIO, I told them there was no way I wanted it, especially for that price. At the time, they said we'd be able to work something out.

On the day I went to pick up the car, they were a little less flexible...a different sales manager told my salesperson that it had to go with the car, since it was "on the sticker", which I knew was bull.

So I bought the car, took out the pitchback & put it back into it's slipcase, and waited to call the more reasonable sales manager I had dealt with previously. Once I got a hold of him and refreshed his memory, he offered to buy back the pitch back no questions asked. So, I'm exchanging it for a check at the dealership next week.

Why someone responsible for ordering cars for a region would saddle all them with this monstrosity at the port is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that whoever that was had never seen what it looked like. Still, I think they'd be better off just stocking them in their parts departments as a DIO for people that want to drive around with a pitch back in their car. It's a snap to install.

Personally, I like the wind whipping around a bit...that's why I bought a convertible. The ISC is even less windy than my SLK. And, just like the SLK, I'm sure there will be some clever, more attractive, and more reasonably-price aftermarket versions along shortly.

I'll know more when mine arrives next week. ;)

I'm getting one without the screen that was originally slated for another dealer (CT.). The dealer wanted to know if he should add the screen for $600. No way I would drive around with that ugly thing!!

If I had gotten one with the screen I would have taken it out immediately. The dealer told me they come on BMW's also. Probably the reason they put them on this car. The Lexus deserves much better than that trash. Really bad idea..... :confused:

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
No one took pics of this thing yet??? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't imagine driving around with that silly thing. If you don't mind a little breeze in your face put the top up! Really pointless. Actually the wind isn't bad at all without it! :)

·
What's all this, then?
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed...that's the whole point of a convertible! You can't even drop the rear headrests with this thing in place, which really makes no sense since no one can sit in the back when it's there anyway!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really like it myself, but it is a must for the wife. Without it her hair just whips all around and into her face. Honestly I can see it being a safety issue for people with long hair. She has the hardest time trying to see the rode without it. I was like there is no way in hell I'm paying almost $700 for that thing, asked them to take it off along with a few other options I felt were not needed. To make the sale a little sweeter the salesman just included all those dealer options for free, which was close to about $2500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts